Saturday, December 16, 2006

Is there any sweeter phrase than...BOOK CONTRACT?

I don't think so. : )

Bitter Pill, the first book in the Rennie Harlow series, is going to be published by Echelon Press in 2008! I got the news last weekend, but bronchitis (again, second time in 2006) got the better of me this week. (I haven't been to work since Monday).

I'm so excited! Echelon is exactly where I wanted Bitter Pill to go, and I can't believe it worked out. : ) Another friend and Chicago mystery author, Luisa Buehler, is published with them and was instrumental in helping me make contact. Isabo Kelly also has a holiday short story with them--definitely a good time of year to check that out! And I've heard such great things about Echelon. Make sure you check out their site, particularly the publisher's blog. This sounds kind of hokey, but I just get such a good vibe from them.

Bitter Pill is a book that's close to my heart for a lot of reasons. The first draft of it was probably the easiest of all the books I've written. It just seemed to pour out. During the day, I was working on edits for The Silver Spoon, and I just needed something to help counterbalance the frustration of revisions--I hate revising, though I must admit that it is a very necessary evil. (And I've realized, note to self, that this is how I work best: revising one project and writing something new.)

So I started working on my AlphaSmart at night. I'd get into bed, turn on HGTV in the background, wait til my husband fell asleep and then begin typing away. At one point, I was holding up a booklight with my knees so I could see the AlphaSmart's screen when it was in my lap.

The second draft was more difficult, and it took me a couple of years and many, many conversations with Becky D. and Stacy G. to get it right. Thanks, guys! And thank you to my sister, Susan, who along with Becky D. and Stacy G., told me they like this one even better than The Silver Spoon and encouraged me to keep going with my revisions I hope all of you who enjoyed reading about Zara and Caelan will give this one a try, too.

It's also an important book to me because of the greyhound connection. Rennie, the main character, has adoped a former racing dog, and as most of you know, that's a cause close to my heart. I'm looking forward to spreading the word about what loving, intelligent and sweet animals these are through Rennie's dog, Fritzy.

So, over the next year, look for updates, cover art, excerpts and all that good stuff! : )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Stacey! That is awesome news, way to go!!

-- Jeanine

Unknown said...

Many congratulations, Stacey. I've been looking forward to seeing your next work in print! Please keep us posted on your progress....

Anonymous said...

Hey yeah congrats!!!! Its kind of wierd echelon put a comment, but hey it was good so ok then. I can't wait to read it!!!!!!
Love Susan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's great news.

Anonymous said...

Stace,

Well done, babe. Looks like I'll have to make you another box soon :) My pleasure!

Remember the disk! And hold on to your dreams.

Stac