Sunday, December 03, 2006

"What's a dickfer?"

*Snort* Am watching Spies Like Us on HBO and had forgotten some of the funny lines. Watching the edited for television version too many times, I guess.

I'm trying to do better about updating the blog more often. I had an easier week at work last week (under 40 hours for the first time...ever!), which helped.

--Bought new music today. For anyone who was wondering about the cool song in the background in the Ultraviolet movie trailer, it's "24" by Jem. I also bought "In Your Eyes" by Rogue Wave, and "It Ends Tonight" by The All-American Rejects.

--I've been debating about first person versus third person. It seems that most authors are either one or the other. Sometimes they change, but it's rare for them to alternate (or so it seems...got examples of authors who've done this? Please let me know!!! I'm trying to figure out how other people do this). The Silver Spoon, its sequel, Bitter Pill and its sequel are all in first person, and that worked out pretty well. First person is what I prefer to read, if given my druthers. Doesn't mean that I won't read something in third person, but that first person voice will catch my attention much faster. But now, I've had several ideas where the story would require more than one voice. And in fact, one of the voices might be male. I've never written from the male perspective...at all. EVER! And the idea of writing in first person from a male perspective quite frankly blows my mind. If I understood how men thought...well, my life in college probably would have been a lot easier.

Is it strange to have two first person narratives? I don't know. What about combining a first and third person narrative? (female in first person and male in third)? I could always go with the traditional third person for both, but I have a harder time writing that way. Either way, I don't know if I can write a believable male internal dialogue (see above about knowing how men think). Would be interesting to try. Hmmm....just something to think about.

This week, I bought MaryJanice Davidson's new book, Sleeping with the Fishes and in the acknowledgements (I always read those for good inside info!), she talks about rewriting the book into third person after realizing that if she left in first person, "Fred" the main character, would have sounded like "Betsy with fins." Betsy is the heroine in her vampire series, which is written in first person. So, apparently, I am not the only one who struggles with this issue. : )

P.S. For those reading on LiveJournal, I suspect my transfer to the new Blogger might cause my old entries to pop up again. Sorry about that!

No comments: