Sunday, June 24, 2007

Where to Begin?

Working on my current WIP, and this is a weird one for me. Normally, I have a very clear idea of what the beginning and end should be. Now, that doesn't mean that they both turn out that way. But I can see an initial version. With this one, I can see more of the middle and the beginning...is not clear. I've got several scenes, each one would start the book one scene earlier.

They aren't competing ideas in the sense that it would be one or the other, but that very first scene, the one that kicks everything off can start either pretty close to the main "everything changes" event or a little farther back.

The advantage of the farther back approach is the chance to give more context so readers understand why certain events are significant without me having to spell it out. That's a good thing to avoid--the info dump or the telling versus showing.

But starting closer to the "everything changes" scene means you don't have to wait so long for something to happen.

With The Silver Spoon, I start with the diner explosion pretty much right off. It works in that case because an explosion is pretty self-explanatory. But the opening situation I'm working with here--someone waking up from cyrogenic freezing is a little more complicated. Also, it's a future setting slightly, which requires some context.

If I follow the Writer's Journey, I need the ordinary world first, which means I'd have to back up even farther, and I've got part of that scene written too. But does that go too far back? I don't know...

Just need to think more, I think.

2 comments:

J.R. Turner said...

Hi Stacey ;)

I just finished reading "The Mayflower Project"--the first book in the YA Remnants series by Applegate. I know it's YA, but I thought it was a pretty stellar way to start a series and thought you might be interested in checking it out for yourself.

The whole first book pretty much starts out on earth as we would know it in the not too-distant future (more hight-tech, etc. than where we are today) and then shows the destruction of the world, the people chosen to go into 'hyper-sleep' and how they got there, etc.

Very cool beginning. Just thought you'd like that tidbit of info to help you muddle through your options!

Warmly,
Jenny:)

Stacey said...

Hi Jenny,
I love YA! And this book sounds really cool. Is it new? I will have to check it out. Barnes and Noble would probably have it, yeah?

Thanks again!
Stacey