Friday, November 16, 2007

Blahbbedy, blah.

I'm suffering writer frustration. Arrggh. I hate this. I want to write. I want to write so much, and yet when I sit down to do so all that comes out is complete and utter crap. I know that it's probably not as bad as it seems. Proof of this is finding old writing and realizing that it's not the gag-fest that I thought it was when I first wrote it. Plus, this is part of the whole "write a sh*tty first draft," a theory I fervently ascribe to. But I can't seem to make myself keep going today for some reason.





Some of this is because I KNOW what happens, but I don't know whose perspective it should be from. I typically don't encounter this problem because I usually write first person, single narrator. But in this case, I'm not and....arrgggh. I guess the worst thing that could happen is that I have to go back and rewrite it from the other perspective. Or maybe I could rough out the scene from both perspectives and see which one feels more right. *pitiful sigh*





Anyway, aside from my whining, here are some things that may or may not entertain you.





First, I've been following along pretty closely with the Writers' Guild strike in California and New York. I didn't quite understand what all the fuss was about, at first. Residuals, which is what you often hear about, are like royalties. They don't get residuals for anything that's downloaded off the internet because the networks, get this, are saying that the internet use is purely promotional. Ha, right. How many of you download shows? I do. And I have to sit through the annoying commercials, too, so somebody somewhere is getting paid on these. Now, they may not be making very much money, but x percent of not very much is still x percent. That's what they're out there fighting for.





Yet I've read many comments in various places bitching about how rich television writers shouldn't be asking for more money. I'll grant you that there are some writers who probably are rich and make a very tidy profit. But I'll bet you there are lots of others who are just barely making it, trying to find a way to keep doing what they love and still pay the bills. I know this because this is how it is for novelists. It's freaking hard to make enough money in this industry. It just is, even for the big press authors. But we do it because we love it, and we fight to make enough to keep doing it. Anyway, check out John August's blog for a first-hand description of the strike and an insightful explanation of the reasons behind it. : )





If I were L.A., I'd be out there handing out doughnuts!





Okay, on to second very important topic. My friend Judy is an awesome photographer. She took a bunch of headshots for me so I'd have something to include in the back cover of my next book, if I wanted to. Here are a couple. I shall call them Photo A and Photo B. What think you, dear reader? You will note that there is no big smile because when I smile like that my eyes squinch up and disappear. So I have to go the more coy and mysterious route...it may, however, look more like I'm squinting at something in the distance, so we'll see!









Photo A









Photo B:


6 comments:

Lisa Shearin said...

Both pics are great, but I think I like Photo B better. I desperately need to have some new shots done for my website. Fortunately, my sis-in-law is a photographer. Corner her after Thanksgiving lunch?? Hmmmmm. BTW -- You're not alone in the write-stop-write mode. I'm on my first draft of The Trouble With Demons, and . . .let's just sum it up with I hate first drafts. A lot. I go back and read what I wrote, and there's nothing wrong with it, there's the nagging voice in the back of my head that asks is it the right direction. I'd love to wave a wand (or something) and have a completed first draft that I can actually WORK WITH. Sigh. Just thought I'd let you know that I feel (and share) your pain. ; )

Now, I'm back to work on Chapter 10.

Anonymous said...

Stac, great pictures. Clint and I both think that A is much better than B, where the top of your head is cut off, and we like the off-centered cut on A. Plus, your smile lines (or lack there of as you say) on B reminds me a little of the Joker. :)

-B

Mark Murata said...

I prefer the pictures on your page where you have your big smile. For instance, the picture on your home page where you're at a book table has that kind of smile.

Mark in the Seattle area

Stacey said...

Hey Lisa,
The thing that's killing me is that I LOVE writing first drafts. I'm the one that hates "fixing" later drafts. I love the way events just spiral out of control and beyond what I've planned, so much so that I can barely keep up with the writing itself. But...because I don't plot ahead of time (or not much anyway), that's why I end up revising for months at a time. So, in a way, I'm actually torturing myself! But for right now, it's worth it for the first draft rush!

How about you? Do you plot first drafts? How much do you know ahead of what your currently writing? Linnea, I know, plans out three scenes a head of time. Just curious...always looking to find the ultimate perfect method!

Stacey said...

The Joker, huh? Ha! Do I need to start brushing up on my Jack Nicholson impression? : )

Stacey said...

Hi Mark!
The photos with the big smiles are how I pose for photos normally. But when I smile like that, you really can't see my eyes. It's a genetic thing. My grandmother does it too. I should maybe post a picture of the two of us!

The trouble is, people seem to think I've got my eyes closed in those photos, even though I'm just happy. *rolls eyes*

The more somber photos are my attempt to rectify that and prove to the world that I am capable of keeping my eyes open during a photos.

But maybe I shouldn't worry about that so much, and just go with me being me!

Thanks, Mark. : )