Thursday, December 27, 2007

I hate this time of year...

Just being grumpy today. I'm sick with a cold, and Alvin and The Chipmunks "Christmas Don't Be Late" won't leave my head. Also, I had to go into the office today and found myself to be one of the few people there. Ick.
 
We're also heading to my least favorite holiday of the year, New Year's. I just have no idea what to do with it. I enjoy setting up goals for the coming year and the idea of starting fresh--that's cool. I love, beyond all reasonable measure, buying new calendars. (It's sick, I know.) But it's the celebrating thing that always leaves me shrugging my shoulders. I am well past the age of going to bars and drinking to the point of sickness. My friends with children will be spending their evening out with other friends who have children and celebrating accordingly, with the kids at eight and then again with the grown-ups at midnight. My husband is asking me what our plans are and I have no freaking idea.
 
What is an appropriate celebration? It seems gratitude should be involved, right? We survived another year, had some successes and some losses too. Losing Snostorm, in June, will be the thing I'll remember 2007 for. But it's also the year we went to Hawaii for the second time, reinforcing just how much I love it there. I had my favorite time (so far) at RT in Houston and got to attend Archon in St. Louis. I had the best time visiting my friends at Valpo in October during Homecoming and getting to see my sister as a freshman there.
 
So, hmmm, there should definitely be a toast to 2007 involved. I can do that. What else? Suggestions, thoughts, recriminations? : )
 
I can definitely see that being able to blog more often will be a dangerous thing for me. Also, mental note, no more blogging when sick and blah...everything comes out sounding so dire and depressing! Really, I am okay! Just sick with the nose-blowing and the coughing and the general misery!
 
:  )
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathleen Turner :) AKA Stacey ;)

Just remember...even though New Year's is a celebration of the unknown...it's a toast to knowing (or at least hoping) the "next period of unknown" will be better than the "previous period of unknown." And it's also free reign to have champagne on a weekday...what can be bad? When you think of 2007, think "bored now," and know that all endeavors in 2008 are not pointless, but rather "entirely pointy!"

Stacy