Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sarah Connor Chronicles: Strange Things Happen at the One-Two Point

If you haven't watched yet, don't read on but...
 
:
:
:
:
 
I KNEW it. I called it. Well, okay, not really, but it did always strike me as odd how Riley approached John. I just couldn't figure out how the machines were involved. And, of course, as we found out last night, they're not. But Riley is still a liar and TROUBLE. I'm intrigued by the fact that she's from the future and sort of being shoved (by Jesse) toward John. I mean, the John she would know, if she knows him at all, would be in his forties. How mind-twisty is that? I did not get the impression last night that Riley was particularly thrilled with her assignment either. I wonder what they said to her to make her go along with this plan. Was it, "We need you to seduce John Connor to save us all"? Or "Hey, come with me and you'll get to the mall before it was a work camp"?  
 
But this brings up all those interesting points made over at TWOP about there being signs of a division both on the human side and the machine side. Some of the humans aren't so sure John's got it all together anymore. Some of the machines are thinking maybe they shouldn't wipe everyone out. Shades of BSG, if you ask me. A story is far more interesting when you cannot tell who the "good" guys are from the "bad" guys. Or, if they are really taking a page from BSG, everyone will turn out to be a little of both.
 
I am supremely happy that Cameron is turning out to be a central part of the equation rather than just a handy, nearly indestructible nursemaid/love interest for John. Gives her, as I've said before, more skin in the game, so to speak. And she is, due to some combination of writing and Summer Glau's amazing ability to convey freaky machineness with something other, completely un-pin-down-able. I cannot figure out what her end game is...and I love that.
 
I do hope they're going to be allowed to finish out the season, at least. I need to know how this is going to turn out. Was it a mistake for Derek to confess that he's John's uncle? Does he really trust her now? I know we're supposed to think he does (hence the whole toothbrush story--someone on the writing staff obviously really has issues with sharing toothbrushes because Derek got busted using Sarah's last year, remember?), but I SO get the sense that Derek would not be surprised by her betrayal. One of the things I like about that character (and I'm both shocked and pleased that BAG continually pulls it off) is that he's so damaged and cynical. Never imagined that the actor who played David Silver would have that capacity. Thank goodness my small mindedness in this respect was not shared by others in charge of the show. He's fantastic!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's over....:)

Anonymous said...

I haven't been at this blog for a while, but has anyone mentioned that the main characters of Terminator:TSCC correspond to the characters in The Wizard of Oz?

John Connor is Dorothy, of course. His mother Sarah has the brains, so she's the Scarecrow. Cameron is invincible, and she's even been called "Tin Miss." And Derek is the Cowardly Lion -- actually a brave person, but most likely to say that there's no point to this, let's bug out of here.

Look back to all the references to The Wizard of Oz in the series, and it'll seem more obvious.


Mark in the Seattle area

Stacey said...

Hi Mark!
That's interesting. I know they've made a lot of Wizard of Oz references (a lot of biblical ones too), but I've never stopped and drawn out the analogy.

I'm particularly interested in the comparison of Derek to the Cowardly Lion. I think his role, particularly in upcoming episodes (assuming we get to see them) will be defining for the series and the story.

Derek, for all his PTSD and battle hardened sensibilities, seems to really feel some uncertainties about how to deal with John, what they're supposed to be doing, etc. Unlike his supposed girlfriend, Jessie, who shoots first and thinks later.

You definitely see his vulnerabilities, which makes him a more intersting person, in my opinion.

BTW, I think last night's episode, had some intriguing moments but was waaaaay too slow. I was bored with the Cameron/library story, and that's a bad sign. They can't continue to do that, again, in my opinion, and expect to keep going (if they haven't already been cancelled). I realize they need some episodes for backstory, but it was too much, I think.

Did you see last night's (12/1) episode? What did you think?

Thanks for stopping by!

:) Stacey