Monday, November 08, 2004

*Sigh*

Yesterday was a perfect day. It's the kind of day I always imagine when I think longingly about being able to write at home full-time. I got up sort of late (9:30) and the sun was just pouring into my writing room, making these big happy rectangles of warm carpeting. I love that. Snowy loves that too. It's just like one of those "aaaahhh" moments. Ah -- in this case indicates satisfaction, not a fall from some place high up.

I came in with my tea and graham crackers, which is breakfast these days and sat down behind the computer. I got a couple more pages on my current project, which is excellent! Then I decided to get dressed and take the dogs out to potty. I got dressed in my favorite lounge-around-the-house flannel pants and a Valpo sweatshirt that's probably seven years old and showing its age (still my absolute favorite sweatshirt though) -- I love it when I get to dress like this. It doesn't happen nearly enough. I took the dogs outside and enjoyed the relatively mild weather (as well as the newly tidied garage, my Saturday project -- No, we still can't get cars in there yet, but we're a lot closer *grin*).

I brought the dogs back in and decided to be brave. I'd had bits of dialogue, scenes and characters floating around in my head for weeks now on a particular idea. But I'd been struggling with it. A lot of it for me is being afraid. Being afraid that it will be crap. Being afraid that I can't do it. But yesterday, something moved me to try. So, I went back into my sunny, happy writing room, settled myself into my big comfy desk chair and wrote for about three more hours. And it was fun! I loved it. This is what I love about writing. Sitting down and enjoying it. Having fun with it. This is what makes everything else worth it. I'm trying to decide how to describe it. It's sort of like that second when you walk into the living room on Christmas morning and see all the gifts piled up. Or, having this great, wonderful happy secret that just fills you up inside.

I love it. And I'm so grateful every time I get to experience it.

No comments: