Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Waaaay too sensitive

I'm having a thin-skin day. I hate these. I've had them since high school at least, and probably for as long as I can remember. It has nothing to do with my actual skin, but my very overactive brain.

Thin-skin days are the days where NOTHING goes right, and while these little wrong-going things normally are brushed aside, on a thin-skin day, each of them is a huge, glaring billboard of suckitude. If that makes sense.

On a thin-skin day:

The world hates me. Everything everyone else does feels like some kind of slight--a stupid reckless driver decided I was taking too long to turn left, so he veered around me to make a left before I could. And I feel guilty, bad and stupid that he felt compelled to get around me, the slow cautious driver!

Everything I say is stupid--was caught off-guard today and blabbedy blabbed on forever in answer to an incredibly off-hand and simple question. I feel awkward and giant-sized in a world of tiny, put-together, sophisticated people.

I repeatedly do remarkably stupid things--let's see, just today I...slept fifteen minutes longer than I should have, agonized over perfecting writing instead of just writing it (write a sh*tty first draft--that's supposed to be my mantra!), skipped my Wed morning Starbucks (which always makes me feel good and organized that I can stop to get a hot chocolate and still make it on time to work), got frustrated over small things that I have no control of and ended up not being a big deal anyway, stopped to pick up the mail and forgot to put the car in park (I figured it out before it rolled too far), and drove over the concrete parking header-thing at the gym.

And yes, I know all of this is completely ridiculous and self-centered, but bad days usually are, right? : )

So, as a counter measure:

Good things that happened today--I went to the gym (yea!), I finished the latest Suzanne Brockman book from the library before the due date (which means I saved the money from buying it) and best of all, I'm shutting down the computer and going to bed now, which means this day is over!

2 comments:

Helloheather said...

Oh MAN, do I understand where you're coming from. I have days like that, too. And sometimes you're right...the best thing about the day is that it's OVER.

Here's hoping that tomorrow is a better day for you. :)

Helloheather said...

OH! Blogger ate my first response, and when I rewrote it I forgot this part...

Good for you for adding up some positive aspects of the day! That's a great strategy. :)