Sunday, September 23, 2007

I'm back, baby!

My computer crashed last weekend. As in, it couldn't have hit bottom any harder than if I dropped it off a cliff. All new hard drive required. *sigh* It's taken me most of this week to get it fixed and get it back up and running again.

Fortunately, most of my stuff was backed up, but now I've got to figure out how to get some things back on here. Like, iTunes. *groan*

Okay, so other news...

--I'm working on Zara III, at least trying to get an idea of how and where things start and how they progress. I've never been much an outliner, but I did a rough one for EOB and found that it helped. So, I'm trying to do the same thing here. We'll see. I may end up taking the leap and writing that draft without any solid idea of how we're going to get to the end. I did that with EOB and ended up with something awful for a first draft. It was only after I worked through an outline of what needed to happen and when that I was able to get something workable.

--Look for my debut author ad in RT Bookreviews Magazine's December issue. I'll get it and scan it in here, if I can. : )

--On a purely personal level, I'm very proud to announce that I've lost fifteen pounds since May!

Okay, that's probably all for now. More to come and hopefully sooner rather than later if I can keep my computer all in one piece!

2 comments:

Mark Murata said...

I keep two backup disks. One is by my computer at home, the other is in my locker at work. When I back up one disk (which is almost daily), I then take it to work to exchange with the other disk, then I repeat the process. That way, I always have one disk away from home that is just about current.

Why two disks? In case of fire, water disaster, a burglar who would sweep all the disks on my home desk into a bag while stealing the computer, etc. One writer told me she muffed up a chapter, than backed it up that way onto the disk. But congrats on having a backup and successfully recovering.

Mark in the Seattle area

Stacey said...

Hey Mark,
I always keep a backup copy of everything on a flash drive, plus a hard copy. That saved me this time. But I'm thinking I need to get one of those online file managers.

And I like your thinking! I worry about that too. Someone stealing my computer would suck, not just because of the financial loss (insurance would cover) but for the work you can't get back. I always have my flash drive with me, but that brings about fears of losing it or whatever. Hence, my thoughts about the file manager...haven't quite made up my mind yet. : )