Tuesday, April 25, 2006

STUCK!

@#$@#%@Q$#%@#$%!@!!!!!!

I have probably about 100 pages to go in the mystery project. I've been really pleased with how it's going so far. Not too many revisions in mind for the 240-some pages I have completed already. But now, as I'm approaching a fairly major confrontation in the story--one that starts the snowball, if you will, rolling down the hill faster and faster until we reach the end--I'm freaking stuck.

I keep reminding myself that this happens to me every time. Almost in this exact same spot every time, too. It's like you have to make sure everything's lined up correctly, otherwise the snowball won't roll or it'll roll down the hill the wrong way. But it's so freaking frustrating!!! I know, I think, what happens after this moment in the story. So, I've been trying to work at it from that angle too. If I know xyz happens later, then that means ABC must happen first. But I know there's only one solution for this, and that' s just to keep thinking and working it through. So, that's what I'll keep doing. But still...*sigh*

On the good news front, there's this:
-Becky D. and her husband are coming to visit this weekend--yea!

-And the Star Trek franchise is not dead! I have to admit, even though there are so many ways this could go horribly wrong, I'm kind of interested to see this new movie. Kirk and Spock were two of my very first tv crushes, even though they were both like fifty already when I was watching them on re-runs and my dad's tapes. It's hard to imagine anyone other than Shatner and Nimoy in these roles, but I think it could be done with careful and thoughtful casting, a la Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi. And prequels aren't always a bad thing, as evidenced by last summer's Batman movie, which I really liked because it was done with thought, care and respect for the franchise. You see a theme developing here?

I'm intrigued to see what J.J. Abrams will do with it, too. I liked the first season of Lost, the first few seasons of Alias and the first couple of seasons of Felicity. I think he could bring some interesting character depth to Kirk and Spock. He seems comfortable mixing action and character development. Plus, it will be interesting to see what happens without the allegedly much-hated Rick Berman (a long-time Star Trek producer) attached to this movie. The only thing I can say for sure is something we learned from the most recent Star Trek outing, Enterprise: Don't Mess with Story Canon!

3 comments:

Eddie said...

And, they already have 1 episode mapped out already. We all know Kirk was the only cadet ever to beat the Kobayashi Maru. If you're going to show Kirk and Spock in Star Fleet Academy, then you MUST include this somewhere.

Stacey said...

Dude! You're right. They have to show that. I can't even remember how he beat it, other than it was supposed to be unbeatable and because he was such loose cannon, he managed it somehow.

*snicker* maybe we'll also get some dorm scenes from Star Fleet Academy. You know, where Kirk's roommate totally hates him because Kirk scores all the chicks and always manages to rip his shirt just by going to class.

There is such a parody here, just waiting to be written. : ) Hmmm. Maybe that's called Galaxy Quest. LOVE that movie.

Stacey said...

Spock refuses to do a keg stand, citing the poor logic behind drinking until you throw up...

Hee!