Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Dear Bryan Singer: I forgive you!

Bryan Singer is the guy who produced and/or directed the first two X-Men movies, the second of which I LOVED. But then when he signed on to do the new Superman movie (a project very close to his heart, evidently), the studio dropped him from the third X-Men movie. And, consequently, I think it sucked. For a while I blamed Bryan Singer for abandoning a series that HE made me care about.

But then I saw Superman Returns. It is the BEST MOVIE OF THE SUMMER!!!!! And you know with how many movies I see, I do not grant this title lightly. It is sooooo good. I was a huge fan of the movies in the 80s. Well, really only the second one where Superman gives up his powers to be with Lois Lane. Yeah, big shocker why I like that one out of all them. : ) So I was fully prepared to be "eh" about this one. I mean, who else could be Superman but Christopher Reeve?

This new guy, Brandon Routh, brought this totally different element to it. Some of it was the story and the writing, but some of it, I think, was also the acting. Superman is an alien. Can't even tell you how old I was before that finally clicked through. But he was raised among humans. In this movie, you really see the human part. The part that struggles with being the only alien, with being different, and the conflict he feels. I cried...twice! The emotions were just so strong.

I even liked Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. It was weird, though, to see the characters being played by actors near my age, probably younger. Kevin Spacey was a pretty good bad guy, as bad as Lex Luthor ever really is. He's always kind of funny and smart. He was totally the science geek who got beat up in high school by good looking jock-type guys like Superman. : )

So I saw the movie last night with Greg and then today, when I finished up with my work for the day, I hightailed it over to the theater again for a second showing. Only $5 during the day! : )

It is that good! Seriously. I'm buying it on DVD too, as soon as it comes out.

Bryan Singer, you have been redeemed in my eyes! : ) Also, thank you for House.

So go see it!

No comments: