Sunday, August 13, 2006

More B.S.

I read an interview with Bryan Singer (creator of House, Superman Returns, etc.) in which someone asked him what part of the movie making business he was best at. He said casting even though he hated it. When the interviewer asked why, he said that the only thing harder than rejecting people all day long is being rejected yourself.

Initially, I kind of thought that was crap. I mean, as a writer, I'm quite familiar with rejection. And being rejected sucks. Never have I thought that it was hard on the people doing the rejecting.

But then on Friday, I went to an ad agency for my day job. They had several models come in to meet us so we could try to find the look we wanted. But you know, it was hard to meet all of them and know that even with their exceptional beauty (talk about a bad self-esteem day, these women were gorgeous!) not all of them would be hired. And it was hard not to want to hire someone because I liked her.

So, okay, now I know what he's talking about. You can like someone, and that has nothing to do with why you have to reject them. It really isn't personal. It just feels like it on the rejecting side.

Hmmm. Learning new things. Who'd've thought it? : )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had a similar experience lately, and it surprised me, too. We've been getting short story submissions for our podcast, and we can't use them all. (And some of them are pretty awful.) I've had a terrible time coming up with a rejection letter, knowing how it makes me feel to receive one!

Anne

Stacey said...

Hi Anne,

Good to hear from you! Just wanted to say that I'm still planning to send you chapters, but I'm still working on them.

: ) Stacey