Saturday, August 26, 2006

What to say...

I relied upon my brain this week instead of jotting down my normal list of topics, and yes, I know I should know better than that.

But here's what I can recall of the list:
Mastering the art of the treadmill
Luke Skywalker's cousin
CSI on the storm door
Sometimes the world sucks
Books

MASTERING THE ART OF THE TREADMILL
I would like you to know that I've gone another week without falling off the treadmill and/or dropping my iPod on the treadmill. In fact, I have conquered the need to cling desperately to the grab-bars and can now walk freely on the treadmill as though I were simply on a moving sidewalk...a really fast moving sidewalk. This is better because now my arms aren't tired from holding on so hard. : ) I also broke down and bought more workout clothes. Unfortunately, the cute little yoga pants I bought are way too comfy and far more suited for laying on the couch than working out.

LUKE SKYWALKER'S COUSIN
It finally occurred to me, after who knows how many viewings of Star Wars, that Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru had no children of their own, or at least that we're told of. (Feel free to tell me otherwise, fellow Star Wars geeks). But it makes me wonder, why not? I mean, was Luke such a whiney brat that they didn't want to have to deal with another kid around? Were they afraid good old D.V. would coming looking for a custody visit? I'm thinking this is yet another sign of how things changed from the start of the series to the end. In the beginning, I think I always assumed that Luke was placed with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, an older couple who could have no children of their own. And yet, according to the new movies, they were very young and presumably fertile people who could have had their own kid(s).

Yes, these are the kinds of things that scamper about in my brain when I should be thinking of other things. (Also, I know that technically any child of Owen and Beru's would not really have been Luke's cousin as Owen is something more like his step uncle or something. Owen's father married Anakin's mother, which would make Anakin and Owen stepbrothers, in theory. So Owen's kids would really have been no relation to Luke, except by marriage...or something.) I don't know why, but I feel like Owen and Beru had kind of a cool story (well, except for the end of it, of course) that we don't know much about. I want to know why Owen agreed to take in the child of his stepmother's kid whom he didn't seem to particularly care for when they met initially.

CSI ON THE STORM DOOR
We have a storm door leading into our house that is basically one big sheet of glass in a metal frame. The other night I was fascinated to discover that you could see all the finger and palm prints on the door from our comings and goings. I then proceeded to entertain myself by distinguishing between full on palm prints, side of the hand prints and just plain old fingerprints. Yeah, I think maybe I need to cut back on my CSI intake.

SOMETIMES THE WORLD SUCKS
This is for you, Stacy G.! You're better off without them. : ) And rest assured, what goes around comes around, it always does. For those who don't know, Stacy just had a bad week job-wise (and she gave me permission to commiserate with her here). She worked really hard for some people, and they didn't appreciate it at all. In fact, they did pretty much the opposite of appreciating it. So everyone, please send positive and reassuring thoughts in her direction, m'kay? I always hate reminders that the world isn't fair (a sucky lesson that I'm forced to keep learning) and that bad things happen to people who don't deserve it.

BOOKS
Just finished a very funny one called Stupid and Contagious by Caprice Crane. I have absolutely no book news of my own which is a little frustrating. I have two unrelated books out and about, and yet, I have nothing to report! Ugh. Wait...actually, that's not true. I did send out the marketing plan for Bitter Pill (thanks for the edit, Stacy G.), and I'm now waiting to hear back. I'm hoping that the three weeks it took me to find time to write it all down hasn't caused the publisher to forget about me. Eeek! Hopefully, there will be something official to report soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stace,

I just wanted to give a "shout out" to you and the rest of all my truly awesome friends out there reading this...you know who you are.

In the realm of friendship, actions speak louder than words. Saying to someone that you'll always have their back and will never throw them under a bus -- well, those words are pretty much meaningless if you end up running them over with the bus, instead...or if you've had their back so the better to stick in the knife. Semantics, man, semantics.

What I've learned, the hard way, is that trust is earned, not just given. And that your real friends care about you no matter what, not just when it suits them. Thanks to all my real friends for the phone calls and e-mails...you really helped me through a rough week!

One final deep thought -- repeat after me, "Mean people suck!"

-The Girl Formerly Known as Trusting (one day to be known as this again)