Friday, May 16, 2008

Book Buffet

Haven't been feeling well this week, so I have gorged myself on books. Yum!
 
Fabulous ones you should check out include:
 
Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict--Modern woman travels back in time to live during Jane Austen's lifetime. It's fun and funny...and that says a lot coming from me, one who hates nearly all books that try to imitate Jane Austen's style or even borrow her characters--ugh. (She is inimitable! Not because she's perfect or anything, but because I can feel the difference when I try to read those other books. It's like eating Hydrox instead of Oreos. Looks similar, even smells similar but one tastes better than the other. You know what I mean, right?)
 
I guess that's what works for me here. It's a modern woman's perspective so it doesn't seem so jarring, and she's not imitating. She's providing her own take on things. Plus, I think the author really did her research. I like that she doesn't gloss over the parts that would have been less than romantic--horse poop on the streets, body odor, blood letting as a medically acceptable practice, bathing once a week (if that).
 
Interesting to see that the reviews on Amazon are so disparate. Count me in the "love it--five stars" group.
 
New Moon: Second book in the Twilight series. I'm a big dummy because after reading (and LOVING) Twilight a few years ago, I read a review of this book that gave it low marks because Edward (the hero) was absent from most of it. Yeah, but after reading it, that's the whole point! It's agonizing and heart breaking and wonderful! I'm SO sorry that I waited years to read it.
 
Eclipse: Third book in the series. The second one is still my favorite so far just because of the strong emotions and how well they are described, but this one...wow! I'm dying for the fourth book to be released and it's not coming out until August!
 
Please don't let the fact that Twilight is YA series put you off. It is fabulous! I've rarely been moved by any book as I have by this series.
 
And here, just because, hey, this is multi-media experience, visit the official movie website and watch the trailer--be warned, though, the trailer comes on automatically so the sound will be playing. Apparently, the guy playing Edward is the same young actor who played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter IV. His hair is weird, though. Hope that doesn't distract me during the movie. I LOVE the poster.
 

No comments: