Wednesday, May 07, 2008

A note to Future Stacey...

I love writing! Duh, but still...

I've been playing with an idea for a week or so now, and I did not have a first name for the central person in the story. I already had an idea of what she looked like, even what she sounded like, but no name. In the past, I think I might have tried to force it. Or, the lack of a name might have bugged me enough to interfere with me exploring the various facets of the idea.

Sidenote: I do a lot of exploring for an idea before I ever "write" a word, which basically amounts to asking a lot of questions--of myself but also of the people whose story I've been charged with telling--and following the answers down different paths, checking out possibilities, until the right one appears. Other writers do this same thing in various ways. Often there are so many ways a story could go, you have to make sure you're understanding what you're being told before you start writing. At least, I do. It's my version of responsible journalism. : )

The idea of exploring an idea is akin to letting something simmer until boils over. I have to do the right amount of exploring until I'm practically bursting to write the story before I sit down and write. Trying to force it into happening faster or earlier is not a good idea. It means I haven't firmly settled on the right path. Some other paths are still possibly beckoning to me. That translates to an indecisive wreck of a writer, so I try not to do that.

Anyway, today, I was exploring, just playing, really as usual. (Exploring is my favorite phase, I think!) And the name I'd been waiting for was suddenly just there, whispered in my head and coming out of my pen. I love it when that happens. Right in the middle of the paragraph. Two sentences before I didn't know her name. Had to keep using generic pronouns. But then, there she was. I just freaking love that!!!

The lesson in this for me--because I use this blog to remind myself of important stuff I figure out about my process along the way--is that if I'd gotten all stiff and uptight about not knowing her name, it might never have happened that way or I might have tried to force something that just wasn't ready.

So, Future Stacey, explore and simmer away--there's value in it and you'll know when you've reached the boiling point.

No comments: