Thursday, June 05, 2008

Antiques Roadshow and Regency Bathroom Etiquette

The other day I flipped on the television (actually, I pressed a button, "flipping" is an anachronism, isn't that sad?) and found myself drawn to Antiques Roadshow. I love that show, especially when it's furniture, books, creepy dolls, etc. I usually place things in history using two factors: Is it before or after the Civil War and/or was Jane Austen alive when said item was in use?

This particular episode contained what one of the curator-type guys said was the top of the line in bathrooms in about 1815 or 1820. Jane died in 1817, so I paid attention. It was basically a cabinet with a marble top for the washing basin and then two spaces beneath: one for the chamberpot and one for the bidet. Ew and eeeew. He also mentioned something that I already knew, thanks to historical romance novels, but never really thought much about: they didn't have a separate room for bathrooms back in those days. They just had chamberpots, and whatever else was needed, in the bedrooms.

So, then I started thinking about it...what did you do when you were over at someone else's house and the need arose? I mean, in Jane Austen's books, they are forever going somewhere for tea or to balls that seem to last most of the night. Surely, owners don't have people tramping up to the bedrooms to use the chamberpots, right? Are there guest chamberpots? Is it like china--do you bring out the good ones for company? And I'm fascinated by this whole question, mainly because that era seems so decorous and civilized. Asking for a chamberpot as a day guest (not someone spending the night because then, presumably, you'd have your own room and all its accommodations), that seems so...uncouth.

Believe it or not, I just googled "bathroom etiquette regency period." Didn't find out anything. Does anyone know how this would have worked? Just morbidly curious, not planning on writing a historical novel of any kind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello,
I tried to do some searching on my own, but I've come up with nothing definitive either. But, if you've watched extras of Pride & Prejudice, they did give some historical facts about women being careful about what they drank and ate anti-diuretic foods (foods that prevent them from needing to go). But, once the need arose, they would need to leave the party. But, don't take my word on this.

Hope this gives you some ideas.