Wednesday, June 18, 2008

BSG--2009, really? Random thoughts and exclamations on the half-season finale.

I finally got around to watching the half-season finale of Battlestar Galactica on Monday night. I put it off because I knew it would be the last new one for a LONG time. It just about killed me, though, because that meant I had to skip all the online reviews and discussions (of which there were many) of said episode until I could watch it. I knew, though, from the sheer number of discussions that it was either really good or really bad.
 
Okay, so here's your warning...stop reading now if you don't want to know what happens. Also, this entry is really long. : )
|
|
|
So...wow. Holy crap. They made it to Earth. And we still have TEN episodes (in 2009--thanks a lot, Sci Fi Channel) left. I'm so glad the writers/producers did not do the thing where it's the last two minutes of the final, final episode and we see Earth gleaming in the distance. Ugh. That would have been sucky. Instead, the last, what, ten minutes of this episode blew my mind. 
 
The end.
When the entire fleet jumped into orbit around Earth, I got chills. Though, a little voice in the back of my head whispered, "If we were there, we'd be firing on them already." I mean, seriously, thirty or forty alien ships suddenly appear in orbit? Um, yeah, talk about reaching for the panic button.
 
It was not, then, such a great shock that Earth, or what might be Earth or what might be Earth but not our Earth, was destroyed and seemingly abandoned. Have I mentioned that the scene at the end of Planet of the Apes with the Statue of Liberty is one of my favorites? This scene in BSG did not just ring a familiar bell, it shook the entire freaking bell tower. I LOVED that. Of course, as you know, I do enjoy the post-apocolyptic stuff. I also think it was interesting in that it drew us, the viewers in deeper. We are now part of the mystery. What happened to "us"? Assuming that is our Earth.
 
Some people had a beef with them going to the planet's surface when they clearly could have seen the devastation (and taken readings of the radiation) from their ships.
But here's the thing:
 
You've been on the run for three long years, on the trail of the perhaps mythical thirteenth colony and their planet Earth, and, more importantly, being manipulated into reaching said destination by some unknown Force(s)...hell, yes, I'm going down there and getting out of my Raptor to find out what HAPPENED. Some clue as to why this empty and now lifeless planet is so important. Some reason why we've been so horribly mislead and deceived by a thousand different clues and a few prophetic leaders. And...maybe a giant sign with an arrow pointing toward Mars and the Earth colony there? Just kidding...I think.
 
I would imagine they would begin to wonder if they were following old clues. Things put in place thousands of years before when people still lived there. There are some who believe Starbuck is somehow responsible for the destruction of Earth given that she saw it as it was supposed to be back when she disappeared for, oh, four months. She even claimed to have been on the planet's surface, I believe. 
 
But she wouldn't have destroyed Earth intentionally--at least not the Starbuck we know. Which means either an accident or some other party involved. Or, as some people have mentioned, time travel. 
 
I don't actually care to speculate. I know it will be explained. That is one thing that BSG does fairly well is answer the questions they bring up or at least acknowledge that they haven't answered them. Which brings me to another favorite moment in this episode...
 
Tigh "comes out" as a Cylon to Adama.
The whole time this was happening, I was on the edge of my seat, waiting for them to pull back, to fake us out, but nope. I loved it. It was as perfect for the situation (the plot) as it was for the character. Tigh is okay with being killed for being a Cylon. He probably thinks he deserves it even though he's never done anything (as far as I can remember) to ally himself with that side of things. Other than sleeping with Caprica-6, obviously.
 
The best part, though, was Adama asking the questions we've been asking ourselves. Tigh has aged. Cylons don't age. Adama remembers him from years before skinjobs even existed. How is that even possible?
 
I'd like to know these things too. Did they make a copy of the real Tigh and replace him? That's the only logical explanation I can think of. (Which surely means that is not the right answer). They've persisted in the theme of the final five Cylons being special, revered. That, plus the numbering system they have going on implies that the five were created at the same time as the other seven. Or at least, not much earlier. So, Tigh the Cylon couldn't have existed forty some years ago during the original Cylon war...right?
 
The writers/producers brought up the right questions, which I think help renews faith and the willingness to follow them just a bit further, even if they didn't answer the questions. This technique, I learned, is called hanging a lantern on it. "You address the plausibility problem by highlighting it" is how John August explains it in his blog.
In this case, though, I'm assuming, they're actually going to come through with an answer at some point rather than just shrug it off to "Who knows? You never know how those crazy Cylons work."
 
Making it worse.
There's an axiom about writing as it pertains to story--"Always make it worse." Back the character into a corner, take away all of his options, and then make it even worse. The BSG writers/producers do that, but they've refined the concept.
 
Because it's not always JUST about making it worse. It's a fine and delicate art of give and take. You can't keep taking and taking and taking or else people stop caring. They know it's never going to get better. They give up. Readers and viewers alike, in real life and fiction. But this...this is exquisite torture. Hope makes you vulnerable, makes you care what's going to happen. And they give you hope for a solution on one problem (Earth dangling out there like the proverbial oasis in the desert and the tentative Cylon/human truce) right before they yank it away on another front (the prize you've all been killing for is one big burned out wasteland, ha, ha, still want to fight over it?).
 
That balance between hope and despair, that's what I want to study and learn from.
 
Random Stuff.
Much has been made about Chief Tyrol not having a lot to do after going crazy with finding out he's a Cylon and Callie dying. And he didn't even have many lines in this episode, but you know what, the expressions on his face when they came to get him and Sam and on the planet's surface...they said it all. The man, Aaron Douglas, can communicate more with a look than others could with ten pages of dialogue. In particular, his face while they're on the planet...that sort of "of course, it's a dead planet, a dead end, after all of this" grim amusement, gallows humor. I think he actually laughs, though you don't hear it. Fan-freaking-tastic.
 
Actually, for that matter, all of them on the planet's surface deserve Emmys for those ten minutes, if nothing else. You could watch just that part of this episode and be impressed and moved, for that matter.
 
And finally...much as I hate myself for it and know that I'll regret it, I'm starting to believe in Baltar's transformation. I know he'll revert. I know it. And yet, I can't help but think he's sincere on some of this even if he doesn't completely understand it.
 
Anyway...anybody else have any thoughts on this?
 

4 comments:

Frank Rodriguez said...

Thanks for a thoughtful post. I've been looking for intelligent conversation of BSG and have been disappointed by the various forums I've visited.

Regarding your final point, I too am very intrigued but doubtful about Baltar's transformation, particularly when I consider how most of the credit of that transformation belongs to the Six in his head, referred to as Baltar's inner Six on Wikipedia (I'll refer to her as BIS for short).

There were a few episodes in seasons 1 and 2 where BIS made it clear that she wanted him to believe in "the one true God". The ending scene in episode 12 of season 1 is a great example of this (and one of my all time favorite BSG scenes to boot). It's very interesting to note that BIS stopped infringing on Baltar's reality just as soon as he gave in and became a religious leader in "Escape Velocity" (Season 3 Episode 4). I love the shot of BIS and Tory standing side by side looking on with supreme satisfaction at the moment Baltar took on the role of religious leader.

But it's important to remember that converting Baltar from pantheism to monotheism hasn't been BIS' only goal. With two hybrids revealing that Starbuck is the harbinger of death, I think many people have forgotten the equally ominous prophecy when BIS told Baltar that she would guide him "to the end of humanity" ("Home, Part II", Season 2 Episode 7).

Regarding Tyrol, you're so right about the depth of communication his expressions gave in this last episode. When he and Anders were arrested, he actually looked relieved. It's interesting to consider how important his role has been when you consider he was "led" to the Eye of Jupiter much like he, Anders, Tory and Tigh are led by the music in their head.

Also interesting to consider that Tyrol covered for Sharon in Season 1 when he had every reason to believe she was the one who had sabotaged the water supply. You could chalk it up to his romance with her but it's tempting to see it as more than than now that we know he's a Cylon. What an interesting circle that Cally killed Tyrol's true love (Sharon), later gave birth to his Cylon baby and was eventually killed by a Cylon.

Fun BSG flashback:
Chief Tyrol: "How do you know I'm human?"
Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.
(from "Lay Down Your Burdens, Part I" Season 2, Episode 19)

Tigh's character is a real credit to the show and to scifi television as a whole. Few actors have brought that kind of depth and intensity. For comparisons, consider the 2nd in command on every other scifi show.

It sucks that we have to wait till February 2009, but what are you gonna do? I was so angry when SciFi pulled that crap with the start of season 4 and I considered not watching it anymore, but I waited over a year and got 10 episodes that just got better and better. So I know I'm going to wait several more months for the final 10 episodes. Hopefully someone will fill the void with more great scifi because Lord knows there isn't much on TV!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been following season 4 of BSG that much, since I was disappointed with the start of it. So when I saw this last episode, I hadn't heard there was going to be anything more. As the final scenes unfolded, I thought it was the LAST episode.

My impression was that it was like the end of "Planet of the Apes" (the good one, with Charlton Heston), but not as effetive, since there was no Statue of Liberty.

Well, the joke's on me. Maybe I'll watch when they show the rest, but I thought the first two seasons were the best of it.

Mark in the Seattle area

Stacey said...

Hi Frank,
You brought up some really cool things I hadn't thought about before. Thanks!

I'd noticed the absence of BIS,m mainly because I get such a kick out of her, but never thought about when we last saw her. You are dead on in the significance of that, I'm sure. How very intriguing! Can I just say how much I love the device of BIS?

And I NEVER thought about that angle with Tyrol and Sharon/Boomer with him covering up for her. That's really interesting. I've wondered how the knowledge that Tyrol is a Cylon too might change their interactions when they're in the same room together again (Boomer versus Athena). You also have to wonder if they were drawn to each other because of the knowledge on a subconscious level that they were both Cylons. I mean, if I were a Cylon, I'd begin to wonder how many of my choices were actually choices versus programming I wasn't even aware of.

And that quote from Brother Cavil is one of my favorites!

Tigh just kicks ass. : ) He just does. He's fundamentally more interesting than other second-in-command (yep, I'm looking at you, Commander William Riker, for example) because you know he's struggling so hard against screwing up. He wants to live up to Adama's expectations of him. One of things this show does so well is make you care about deeply flawed and almost unlikeable characters.

Do you think "the end of humanity" could, instead of being the literal destruction of the human race, be the realization that they are all (or mostly) some portion Cylon? Or that the line between "human" and "Cylon" is so fine, it's no longer worth drawing?

Okay, and finally...just for fun, what's your guess on the identity of the fifth Cylon?

Thanks again for stopping by and posting. It's rare that I get to discuss BSG on such a detailed level and I love it! : )

And yep, the wait until 2009 is going to be a long one, unfortunately. I'm going to give Joss Whedon's Dollhouse a chance in the fall and I did enjoy the Sarah Conner Chronicles and that one will be coming back as well. I don't think either of them will come close to touching BSG in terms of quality but they're fun. : )

Stacey

Stacey said...

Hi Mark!

I agree with you--Seasons 1 and 2 were excellent. But I'm compelled to see this all the way to the end. : )

IMO, lots of television shows, just like books, suffer from the "saggy middle" when no one knows how long they may go on and they have to keep coming up with
"stuff." But once the end is set, as it is with BSG, things really start to get interesting. Having that defined end point forces writers/producers, I think, to think about the show as a whole story and how it's going to or should end.

I think BSG has always thought about the show as a whole story (rather than "what can we do next to guarantee another season?")and now that they know this is the last season or half season, they can really make things happen.

I must confess that I have seen every episode, of course, because the Starbuck/Apollo tension has always intrigued me even if nothing else on the grander scale was happening.

I think that BSG will be noted as a show that took risks (jumping the show a year ahead in time, killing off characters we care about, and having them find Earth before the last episode) and we just have to see whether those risks will pay off with people leaving feeling satisfied. I hope so!

(Sorry for typos--I'm on vacation in the wilds of Wisconsin and using my teeny,tiny laptop. : ) )

Stacey