Thursday, June 05, 2008

No A/C

We're now at Day 4 of no air conditioning and for those keeping score at home, it was a blistering 90 degrees today. Fun. I just finished a very intense debate with myself about which sleeping outfit would keep me the coolest without scandalizing the neighbors who are sure to glimpse me through an open window (all of them are open now) at some point tonight. Ugh. I hate trying to sleep when it's hot.

When I lived in Hillsboro, Illinois, grades 4-8, I had the coolest room. It was in the attic, all the walls were slanted at sharp angles and there essentially was no ceiling, just a peak. It was like living in the center of a bunch of triangles. Anyway, in addition to having to walk very carefully over part of the floor--it wasn't reinforced and I was basically striding on the dining room ceiling--there was no air conditioning. You'd think that just one room without a/c in a whole house with a/c wouldn't be that bad. Trust me. It was bad.

However, after years of living air conditioned refinery, I've found I forgotten how nice it is to hear the crickets and frogs chirping outside, feel a slightly cooler breeze bringing welcome relief...and to wake up with a completely stuffy nose and sinus headache, thanks to allergies. Well, okay, the last part is not so great. : )

The a/c repair person is coming tomorrow. At 7:00 a.m. Seriously. Talk about adding insult to injury. Right about that time, it will finally be getting cool enough to start sleeping.

No comments: