Thursday, July 10, 2008

Burn Notice is back!

Burn Notice returns tonight! I love this show. It does not receive the recognition it should. The voiceovers alone are pitch-perfect. A few of my favorites (thanks to IMDb):
 
Michael Westen: [voice-over] Covert intelligence involves a lot of waiting around. Know what it's like being a spy? Like sitting in your dentist's reception area twenty-four hours a day. You read magazines, sip coffee, and every so often, someone tries to kill you.
 
Michael Westen: [voice-over] Southern Nigeria isn't my favorite place in the world. It's unstable, it's corrupt, and the people there eat a lot of terrible-smelling preserved fish. I will say this for Nigeria, though: it's the gun-running capital of Africa. And that makes it a bad place to drive a passenger sedan into a crowded market.
 
Michael Westen: [voice-over] If you're gonna collapse on a plane, I recommend business class. The seats are bigger if you start convulsing. Although once you pass out, it really doesn't matter.
 
Michael Westen: [voice-over] When you're being watched, what you need is contrast. A background that will make the surveillance stand out. An FBI field office is full of guys in their forties. At most South Beach business hotels, it would be tough to tell which middle-aged white guy was watching you. So you stay in the place where everyone is a Jell-O shot away from alcohol poisoning. If you see someone who can walk a straight line, that's the Fed.
 
The first two examples, of course, demonstrate the rule of three in screenwriting--the funny is always on three. The third item in the list is unexpected and still true. Love that.
 
You can read more Burn Notice quotes at IMDb. Or check out the show on USA tonight at 9:00. I think they'll be running last season's finale just prior to that as well. : )
 
And for those BSG fans who are desperate for their next fix of Number Six (hey, that rhymes!), Tricia Helfer is joining the cast as Michael Westen's "handler." Wow, there are all kinds of inappropriate jokes I could make there, but I won't (Jeffrey Donovan--the actor who plays Michael Westen--is very cute). Tricia Helfer rocks as Number Six (beauty, evil, temptation, sin and redemption all rolled up into one character somehow), and I can't wait to what she's like in this role.

3 comments:

ShaneShock said...

Great show. I'm a bit disgruntled with the network, though. I just started watching the show on the internet, really digging the tongue-in-cheek satirical jabs, and THEY REMOVED EVERYTHING THE DAY SEASON 2 STARTED! I only got to see three episodes!

So now I have to buy it. The wife isn't going to like that.

SS

Stacey said...

Oh, that sucks! I know it's little consolation, but season one is worth it. : ) Will she watch it with you? I always find it's easier to convince the spouse when they've had a chance to get addicted to it as well. Hence, why we own Entourage on DVD. : )

My husband will not watch Burn Notice. I think the balance between comedy and drama unsettles him. If it's spy stuff, he'd rather it be one or the other, you know? But I'm continuing to work on converting him.

ShaneShock said...

Anything comedic she doesn't really like. She's not from the U.S., so I think "our" humor falls short for her. English is her second language, though it does not show when she speaks, but some of our concepts she has trouble relating to, such as making fun of the CIA.

However, life is not without great ironies. Her favorite movie(s) of all time is Jason Bourne. Go figure.

But we are both really into Lost, Heroes, and CSI: Las Vegas. Can't wait for the next season...

SS