Thursday, July 31, 2008

New York, Day Three (part two) and Day Four

After our long journey back from Central Park, we took a quick nap and then got cleaned up for the wedding. I must confess I actually used one of the hotel provided shower caps for the first time in my life as I knew my hair would still be sopping wet if I shampooed again. It was funny and weird. I felt like Lucille Ball or something.

 

There was a shuttle to the wedding location in Queens, which was fortunate because I did not feel brave enough to face the subway again, especially in heels. The wedding was held in The Foundry, which is exactly what it sounds like, an old industrial-type building revitalized into this very cool open concept building. Seeing the heavy beams, old brick and odd little alcoves where the equipment must have been was neat. The back patio on the building held nursery plants, so it was beautiful and green.

 

The ceremony was lovely, just perfect. I really enjoyed the two poetry readings in the ceremony, which I believe were written specifically for the bride and groom. I actually teared up during the wedding, and I don't remember the last wedding that made me cry. : )

 

After the ceremony, we had drinking and dancing and dinner. The photo above is at dinner. We clean up pretty well, no? : )

 

Once dinner was finished, we had celebrated with more champagne (don't know what it was, but it was fabulous) and more dancing. I really had fun this time. It helped, knowing so many of people there.

 

At one point, Greg and I were demonstrating various 90's cheesy dancing techniques, like "churning the butter" and "mowing the lawn" just to be silly. The champagne definitely helped with that. My favorite part was seeing my in-laws "raising the roof" during "Jump Around" by House of Pain. They were awesome!

 

The bride and groom also provided these really cute Chinese-type slippers for those of us who wanted to kick off our heels and dance, which heck yeah, I did.

 

After cake and more dancing, an ice cream truck pulled up outside. Mr. Softee for everyone who wanted it! How cool is that?

 

I declined the ice cream but had a very enjoyable discussion with several of the other wedding guests about ice cream sandwiches and the proper cookie to ice cream ratio that must exist. : )

 

One final spin around the dance floor and then it was time to go. The shuttle had arrived to take us back to the hotel.

 

One funny/scary moment, our bus actually stopped dead on the bridge between Queens and Manhattan. Of course, some of us were, um, still feeling just how much we'd celebrated and found this more amusing than scary. But the bus driver got us up and moving again very shortly and all was well.  

 

Day Four

…is not very exciting, I'm afraid. We slept in. Brian and Susan were up and about and adventurous, but we were too tired. We did make it down to breakfast to talk to family a little more and say good-bye. But then it was all about getting packed and getting to the airport.

 

I was sad to leave. We don't get to see this part of the family very often. I only get to see my New York friends about once or twice a year. And I just had so much fun! : ) It was such an adventure, very different from chilling on the beach at Maui, but an altogether awesome experience. Thanks to everyone who offered advice and encouragement. You were right!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stacey, I'm glad you had a great time in NYC. My family and I visited there last summer for the first time. Seeing the city through the eyes of my 15 year old daughter who can't wait to go back and my husband who can't believe people choose to live in the insanity and my sons who are old enough to navigate by themselves made for some interesting experiences!

Stacey said...

Hi Patty,
It was overwhelming for sure. At first I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to live there, but by the end of the weekend, I could see the appeal.

It's funny, but there's a very strong sense of community among New Yorkers, I think. Or so it seemed. They are bonded by their common experiences, even if they're annoying ones like almost getting run over by cabs or whatever. : )

Not my cup of tea, but interesting. Very different from Chicago.

:) Stacey