Friday, January 28, 2005

That's will power*

I went to the bookstore over lunch to find a specific book. Not by one of my favorite authors, but one I've enjoyed reading, nonetheless. However, once I found the book, I realized that I couldn't buy it. Well, I could, but the topic this author is writing on is in the same general sphere as something I'm working on. Typically, if I read something that's even a little similar to something I'm writing, it throws me for a loop. I get all tense and worried that I'm unconsciously imitating that author's style or word choice. Makes writing for me very difficult for a few days. So, I picked up the book, started for the cash register and actually made it almost all the way there before I stopped. I turned around and put the book back.

The book will be there when I'm finished working on what I'm working on. I'll get it as a reward to myself when I'm finished. Writing is hard enough sometimes. I don't need help making it any harder on myself! : ) So yeah, this post is a little "yea-me!"** but I'm trying to do that so I'll remember to do the same thing next time and keep making, as they say in the day care field, good choices.


*Except, I did buy a book. Every Boy's Got One by Meg Cabot. It's safe as it resembles nothing that I'm working on. And for those with dirty minds (Edward!), the "one" in the title refers to a heart. : )

**Note my use of "" -- I just can't escape them.

No comments: