Monday, November 21, 2005

Unleashing the inner Asha and A Rant on Author Etiquette

I'd hoped to have photos to go along with this entry, but we're still working on the getting them from the camera to the computer process. Hopefully, if you're reading this tomorrow (Tuesday) there will be a photo or two to accompany this entry.

Holiday Book Bash Details
For those who are interested in such things, I wore black pants (the wide-legged kind with cuffs, made of this really smooth, flowy material), a v-neck camisole and a black v-neck mini-sweater with a black fake fur collar. As soon as I saw the sweater in the store, I knew I had to try it on. It totally reminded me of something Asha would have or wear. For those who haven't read The Silver Spoon (and why not I ask you?!?), Asha is the very powerful, somewhat ethically-challenged and kind of scary/sexy leader of the rebel Observers. That's another one of the tricks I've learned over the last few years of writing. If you're trying to get into a character's head, dress like they would. It works, sometimes to a frightening degree. Of course, this does not mean that you'll be seeing me in leather pants any time soon. *grin*

All the authors I met were very nice. I ended up sitting next to Rich Lindberg, who knows someone I work with at my day job! He writes about crime in Chicago among other things. I bought his book, Return to the Scene of the Crime: A Guide to Infamous Places in Chicago. Very cool!

Rick Kogan, host of WGN Radio's Sunday Papers, sat on my other side. He invited me to be on the radio! I need to send my book and a note to follow up with him.

A Rant on Author Etiquette
I've met quite a few authors over the last couple years, mostly as a fan of their writing and sometimes in the context of being a fellow writer. And it's interesting to note that most of them, including the really, really famous ones, have been very nice. They smile politely, answer your questions, thank you for buying their book, make a little small talk as they sign your book and generally leave you with a positive feeling about your experience.

I think it's about honoring the people who spend their hard-earned dollars on your creative work when they could buy someone else's. Or buy a DVD instead. So, I've always endeavored to make people feel welcome when they come to a signing or event that I'm attending. I appreciate them taking a chance with me, spending their $16.50 on a new, unknown author, and I try to let them know that. Whether it's taking the time to chat with them, asking them a few questions about themselves or just straightforwardly telling them I appreciate the opportunity to share the world of Zara and Caelan with them. Even with little old me, some people, believe it or not, are nervous to approach and get their book signed! It takes maybe three minutes to make them feel comfortable and convey my gratitude.

That's why I was really dismayed and a little irritated at the behavior of one author in particular. And no, I'm not going to mention a name. I'd waited until the end of the event (so that the crowd would die down) to get a book signed by this particular author, one I'd heard of and shared a YahooGroup with. Now, I did not, by any means, expect this author to know me as a writer or treat me any differently than any other fan of his/her writing. But if this is how they others were treated...I wouldn't buy any of this person's other books. I'm having trouble talking myself into reading the one I bought, just because of this!

When I approached the author, (I'm going to refer to the author as T.A. from here because the author is really tiresome to keep writing out) T.A. was deep in conversation with another writer at the next table. I waited politely to be acknowledged, which I was, with a wave forward. I approached, and handed T.A my book. T.A. made a brief comment about the spelling of my name (which is something I always do when signing a book for people whose name can be spelled a half a million ways--Stacey, Stacy, Stacie, Staci, Stacee). Just as I opened my mouth to talk about being two Chicago authors on a certain Yahoogroup, T.A returned to her conversation with the writer at the next table. T.A. finished signing my book and shoved it back across the table to me without a break in the conversation or even looking in my direction.

Seven words. Not a one of them was "thank you" or "nice to meet you" or anything of that nature. I didn't even rate eye contact! I couldn't believe it.

Laurell K. Hamilton, who has sold way more books than T.A., has always been very nice to me and as far as I can tell, all the fans who are fortunate enough to meet her. Not that being famous is an "out" for rude behavior either, but it might help explain it (too many fans, too little time, etc.)

I didn't have to spend money on T.A.'s book and frankly now, despite the fact that the book itself looks interesting, I'm kind of sorry that I did. Of course, a portion of the money from that night went to support writing scholarships and journalism internships, so that's good, at least. I remind myself though that you don't have to like the person to like the book. There are authors who you expect to be at least a little like their main character and it's jarring when they aren't. Usually because you know that the main character would be awesome to hang around and have fun with and the author...isn't.

What do you guys think about this? Do you think I'm overreacting? Possibly because I have expectations for how I treat people and how others have treated me? Or, maybe T.A. was just having a bad day. Just curious...

2 comments:

Pat Kirby said...

Since I'm still in a state of "contracts signed, but waiting for actual publication," I don't have any signing experience.

But my husband and I recently started showing our artwork at local craft shows. I can't imagine being that dismissive with anyone. Even if someone just comes into the booth for a few seconds, I always thank them for stopping by. (Heck, I thank new people for stopping by at my blog.)

Really, it's about customer service. I think I'd take a similar approach with a signing. I can understand not wanting to abruptly cut off one conversation, but...a signing is like a store front. I think the correct approach is to politely pause the current conversation and give the other customer your full attention.

Sometimes, something as simple as saying, "I really like your blouse," can start a conversation and lead to a sale.

And "Thank you" are two powerful words.

Stacey said...

I'm glad to know it's not just me! : )