Monday, December 05, 2005

Monday

A random assortment of things...

-Meg Cabot wrote an awesome entry on Friday about the 58% happy ending, a theory I completely subscribe to. Which you probably already know. I also love what she has to say about literary fiction. The reason she doesn't read it is the same reason I don't (i.e. real life is tragic enough, why would I want to read about more sad/bad/depressing stuff?) You'll have to scroll down a little to find this entry on her site (Friday, December 2) because I'm not as prompt in my linking as I should have been. Also, she has a couple new books coming out at the end of this month that look like such fun! Size 12 Is Not Fat and Avalon High. Sadly, no excerpts for either as far as I can tell.

-I had to honk at three people today. Once, when a car turned left in front of me. And then twice more at two different intersections when someone sat there and sat there and sat there at a GREEN light. I don't actually like honking, except in life-saving instances, obviously. But today, apparently, no one would be able to tell that.

-Have you ever noticed how certain words suddenly come into vogue and then you're hearing them everywhere? This is the one I've been hearing and reading lately. Most recently, on Desperate Housewives last night. I swear, I'd never heard this word until probably the last month or so and now I see and hear it everywhere. And I consider myself fairly Yiddish-aware. Huh. Anybody else noticing this phenomenon?

-My day job has apparently decided that Janet Evanovich's website is too tawdry to be viewed during daylight hours. Funny, too, because it's my friend and fellow author Bonnie Vanak's blog that always has me frantically scrambling for the downsize button on my browser when I'm at work. She puts pictures of scantily clad men in her blog entries--can't go wrong there, I guess! : ) (The link is to her website, which is acceptable for workday viewing. Click on her blog at your own risk *grin*)

-Anybody going to watch The Triangle on Sci-Fi tonight? I'm a sucker for shows like this, particularly if it involves finding eerily abandoned or submerged planes or boats. Plus, it's directed or produced or something by Bryan Singer, the guy who brought us X-Men and X-2, which I liked. The second one particularly. Sadly, though, he will not be at the helm for X-3 because he ditched the mutants for another movie about the most famous alien superhero.

-Good progress was made this weekend on the mystery project. I am, however, still stuck on the plot. Which kinda sucks. I also finished editing another chapter of the sequel. Only five more to go!

-I'm also a little concerned about this. Wearing vials of blood and Billy Bob Thornton aside, I've kinda liked what I've read about A.J.'s parenting theories. She's adopted internationally twice, which I think is a terrific thing to do and would love to do at some point in the future myself. Plus, I remember there being a to-do about some interview last year or the year before where the media made a big deal out of how she said she handled relationships with men as a single mother. Basically, what she said was that she didn't want to bring a string of dates home and, um, entertain them overnight as she feared that might cause hurt and confusion to her son. So, instead, she'd meet these dates out somewhere and address her, uh, needs away from her home. I thought this actually seemed like a fairly responsible and grown up way to handle this issue, though clearly not an option for most single parents who don't have full-time nannies or whatever to care for their children at the drop of a hat. So, you know, I hope she's maintained that sensibility and plans for some kind of permanent relationship with Brad. Otherwise, any respect I had for her will just be gone...well, whatever respect was left after watching the Tomb Raider movies. Eesh.

1 comment:

Bonnie Vanak said...

Hey Stacey, I just tagged you for a book meme! Visit my blog for more details. Bonnie Vanak

http://www.bonnievanak.blogspot.com