Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Snowing...again

This is the time of year that I always question my choice of living here. More snow. Ugh. It's pretty and I love it...as long as I don't have to go anywhere. But snow inevitably falls during rush hour, either to or from work and in some cases both. Sure, Hawaii has the occasional lava flow but I'm thinking if that affects your commute, you probably need to move a little farther away from the volcano. And possibly start looking for some help from Pierce Brosnan...

Anyway as a distraction from the crummy weather, I found a couple of fun things--

Meg Cabot's opinion on seeing Brokeback Mountain, which made me laugh:

"I will be breaking my long-standing policy of not seeing movies with purportedly tragic endings in order to watch BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (aka the “gay cowboy movie”). I urge you to see it as well, and not just because it co-stars THE PRINCESS DIARIES’s Anne Hathaway and RANDY QUAID. Even though, as my brother Matt put it this weekend, there is only one “crying show” allowed per week--and that show is, of course, EXTREME HOME MAKEOVER--I think it’s very, very important to support movies in which hot guys kiss each other.

Especially if one of them is Heath Ledger."

She also hates stories with talking animals. Finally, I'm not alone!!! I can't watch most of the Disney movies anymore because they insist on making animals talk. Now, that being said, my husband loves to point out that my two favorite Disney movies, The Little Mermaid (which I know is so wrong from the original fairy tale but come on, she has red hair!) and Beauty and Beast (Belle loves books!) have talking fish, crustaceans and normally inanimate objects like teapots. But that, somehow, is acceptable to me. I believe he thinks I'm splitting hairs at this point, but I stand firm : )

Also, Megan Crane has pinned down exactly what makes revising a book so difficult and why writers feel compelled to keep writing. Check it out here. I love finding this stuff, especially when it so perfectly describes how I feel and it's from an established, successful author (two books out, third on the way and I believe writing is her full-time job). Makes me feel less alone when I'm out there chasing the elusive perfect book that's in my head. What she says is absolutely true. The book in your head has so many exciting possibilities, so many scenes that will never make it to paper or to the final draft. That's probably why I always end up writing books in a series. I can't let go after just one. : )

Sorry you're not getting very much original content these days : ) I'm still struggling with the last few chapters of the sequel and I'm pretty sure everyone is tired of hearing that same sentence over and over again. Unfortunately, that's the main thing dominating my attention at the moment. I promise a return to new and original thought (well, as much as there ever was here to begin with) as soon as this @#$#@$% book is done. *beatific smile*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey darlin'
I dont know if your going to check this today or not but if you do I'm in spanish class right now looking up information on Nicaragua christmas. Yipee. I just wanted to say hey and state that it is really stupid that we cant use email here. How are things going? How's the family? I'm going to go because I need to keep looking stuff up but if you check this i'll be back at fourth hour for a project on Kuwait round 11:30 or so.lol Talk to you later
love your darling sis

Anonymous said...

hey stace,
I'm in geography now. I was just seein how you were doing again. i gotta go but ill ttyl i have to acutally work on my project. ill check in after lunch... later luv

Stacey said...

Hi Susan:
I got your messages but didn't have time to respond right away. I'm guessing you're already home by now. Everything is fine : ) I'm so pleased to see that you're using your library/research time so wisely. Ha!

I'll see you next week. Mom says you want Boston Market for dinner instead of my fabulous, fabulous cooking? Is this true?

: ) Stacey