Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Sometimes, I get all hamstrung trying to think about what to write in here. I have so many things that I can't talk about (for various reasons), which are, inevitably, the things I want to talk about. I hope to be able to talk about those things eventually, but not yet. And there are things that I'm sick of writing about, mainly because I'm tired of hearing myself whine about said things.

So, here is just a list of good things that have happened in the last few days:

-Bonnie Vanak tagged me with the book meme yesterday. It made me remember how much fun RT was last year and realize how much I'm looking forward to seeing Bonnie and everyone else again. It sounds dumb, but sometimes being a writer is lonely and hard. Not the fun stuff, like signings and book release parties--those are great but not nearly as frequent as one would like! I'm talking about the toiling away day after day on a book or story that may or may not ever be good enough to be published, and even if it is, it may not earn you much, if any, money. Sometimes you just need to be around other people who are infected with that same strain of craziness. : )

-I tagged Megan Crane (among others) with the meme and she responded with answers that are as cool and interesting as I suspected they would be. Check it out here... Scroll down to yesterday's entry.

-My husband made pancakes on Sunday morning and woke me up to join him in the eating of them.

-Meg Cabot wrote a touching and still funny entry about the death of her grandfather, telling a WWII story about him, which reminds me of the WWII story (I think, it might also have been Korea, I'll have to ask) about my grandpa. He signed up for additional flight hours with another crew that needed him (he was a bombadier, I believe), and therefore, had too many flight hours when his own crew went out. So, he had to stay behind. His crew ended up crashing and dying. My grandpa, by helping out that other flight crew, saved his own life.

I miss my grandpa. He always made Christmas fun. He used to pretend to forget my name. "That's right, uh, Henrietta!" "No, Grandpa." "Oh, oh, it must be Georgina, right?" "No!" It would get howls of laughter from me, especially with the wackier names he came up with. This is also the man who told me I should eat my toast crusts because "it'll put hair on your chest." *grin* He had three sons. I was the first granddaughter.

-There's a new Veronica Mars on tonight!

-I read a fun new book over the weekend, Revenge Gifts by Cindy Cruciger, while relaxing in the sunshine in my favorite reading chair. It's a harvest gold, velvet (or velveteen) living room chair that my in-laws gave us to help us in our quest for furniture when we were first married and that I now refuse to get rid of or reupholster because I love the texture of the fabric so much. I would take a picture, but eh, you guys know how that'll go.

-I hemmed my own pants this morning! My boot heel pulled the old hem out and I've been meaning to fix it for weeks. Now, deciding to do so about fifteen minutes before I'm due to leave for work probably wasn't the brightest idea, but I'm fairly proud of myself.

-The Triangle doesn't suck. At least, the first part didn't. Though, being an SG-1 fan, I had their mysterious theory behind the existence of the Bermuda Triangle pegged within the first fifteen minutes, but oh, well. : ) Also, Ed, I saw an episode of Family Guy the other night and laughed hysterically. I think I finally get what you've been talking about.



Okay, I think I'm tapped out. : )

1 comment:

Pat Kirby said...

M. Crane's conflicted feelings about Narnia (books) mirror mine about the movie. No, this isn't an anti-Christian thing. But the far, far, far right has glombed on so tightly to the movie, I'm scared I'll get in the theater and think...argh..."I'm being preached to."

It looks like a gorgeous movie. I want to be as swept away as I was with LOTR.