Thursday, August 14, 2008

An author by any other name...

Thinking about changing my name for my YA novels. It will still lead back to one website and everything, so it won't be one of those deep cover author names where you discover I'm an entirely different person after years of research and digging around in public records or whatever.
 
Current options being bandied about include:
 
Stacey Allen (real first, with husband's middle name in a different spelling)
 
Stacey Kade (close to my first choice, which is Stacey Kaye, but the website is already taken)
 
Stacia Kade (oooh, exotic)
 
It should be something:
-close to my real name (so I'll remember to answer to it),
-memorable,
-easy to spell and
-decent location on the shelf (so no Zee or anything like that).
 
What do you think? Suggestions welcome!

4 comments:

Mark Murata said...

The pen name should have all the features you listed, plus it should just sound right, for the kind of novels you'll be writing.

So it looks like you'll be choosing between sensible, cool, and exotic.

Mark in the Seattle area

phule said...

I'm partial to Stacey Allen only because I was there during the spit balling :)

ShaneShock said...

I'm all for using a name that rides straight down the extreme, that's fun and almost cheesy, such as Stacey Story, or Stacey Strange, or such. Names that roll into each other.

Of course, I'm a bit biased. Look at my name. :)

SS

Stacey said...

Thanks, guys! Sorry for not responding sooner. Life got a little complicated, as it often does.

Mark, I think I'm going to have to go with cool. : )I've been sensible my whole life, exotic isn't really me and cool always works!

Phule, I had so much fun hanging out at your house that night. Thanks for inviting me. : ) You guys are an awesome sounding board. And the kids are hilarious to watch!

Shane, I'm a big fan of alliteration (if that's what you call it when it's consonants instead of vowels, I can't remember anymore), too. Stacey Story, huh? Hmm. : )