Friday, August 01, 2008

Breaking Dawn tonight

Yep, I'm a sucker for a good midnight book release. Breaking Dawn, the fourth and final book in the Stephanie Meyer Twilight series, comes out tonight. And yeah, I'll be there. Typically, I like to give my money to the good folks at Barnes and Noble, especially in Vernon Hills, where I hang out at lunch. But my need for sleep and the distance between my favorite store and home are going to win out.
 
So, Borders in McHenry, it shall be.
 
I can't decide what I want to happen. I like Edward. I cried during New Moon when he was being all noble and self-sacrificing. But Bella has a much better chance at a "normal" life with Jacob. And I also think loving somebody so much, to the point where it's really sort of uneven, doesn't bode well for the future.
 
I know it's tantamount to heresy to say this about Bella and Edward, but I do think she'd be better off with Jacob, someone who makes her happy without demanding, even unintentionally, so much from her. But I also know that the heart wants what it wants (ever notice how people use that as an excuse to do some really questionable things?), and Bella and Edward are just one of those epic love stories.
 
Note, though, that we rarely see the people from those stories in ten or twenty years after they've gotten what they wanted beyond all else--each other. Does that passion still exist or does it become mundane? If it's the later, wouldn't it be better to be with the person who makes you happy rather than the one who makes you want to give up all else but him? Once you've got him, forever and ever, then what?
 
So, I just kind of wonder how the author is going to resolve this, and what message is really being sent. No matter what happens, some people are going to be disappointed, I think. Of course, that's true of just about every highly anticipated movie/book. I wonder why she introduced a secondary love interest when there never really seemed to be a moment in which she, Bella, would choose Jacob over Edward. Hmmm.
 
This musing brought to you by thirty-two year old Stacey, who, if she's honest with herself, knows she would picked Edward in a heartbeat (no pun intended) at eighteen.

No comments: