Friday, August 15, 2008

Writing about your exes

I'm listening to the latest Alanis album (thanks, Stacy G.), which I believe she has all but said is all about her break up with Ryan Reynolds, and wondering if he feels bad when he hears these songs on the radio and realizes how badly he made her feel. I mean, it's one thing to break up with your significant other, but to have to hear about it on the radio as you're driving to work? Or to have millions of other people hear it and know that it's about you? Some of these songs are devastatingly sad...and pissed off. They're very personal, too. You feel like you want to give her a hug and kick him in the shins.
 
I wonder if people give him dirty looks now. Didn't he break up with her to go out with some younger, blonder starlet? Can't remember who. (Ah, Scarlett Johanssen. Looked it up. ) Just remember wincing and thinking, "Ouch," on Alanis's behalf when I heard.
 
I guess I'm partial to her side of things ever since "You Ought to Know," the advent, in my opinion, of angry girl rock, and the first time I'd ever heard anyone describe in a song what it felt like to be dumped and the things you really think about during that time. (Even if it was supposedly about Dave Coulier, which I have trouble imagining).
 
These songs, too, hold that raw emotion that captivates me. I think she's at her best, songwriting-wise, when she's really hurt and really pissed. But what a way to be successful. Eeesh.
 
My favorites are "Not as We," "Straitjacket" and "Torch."

No comments: