Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Movie and Books

Watched Stardust last night. I liked it better than I thought I would. I'm not much for the fantasy/magic/witches type stuff, but this was kind of fun. I'm intrigued enough to want to check out the book by Neil Gaiman. It was a fairy tale, essentially, and I love those! The dead princes/brothers as the peanut gallery cracked me up--I think that was my favorite part.
 
The young Dunstan at the beginning is Ben Barnes--he is cute!--and I realize now why he looked familiar. It's Prince Caspian. : ) I also see that they're making another of the Chronicles of Narnia movies. Dude...I so do not like those movies. *sigh* I know I should. They just...irritate me. What seems subtle and allegorical in the book just feels ham-handed and overplayed on the screen. Eeesh.
 
In my current quest to have enough books to build some large fortified structure with them (e.g., house, bridge, tower to outer space), I've added City of Bones and City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare to my shelves. Loved both of them and I'm waiting for the next one, of course.
 
I'm also reading Mystery Date, a collection of SF/F/Paranormal stories about dating. Some of them are romance and some of them are...not. So far, though, all of them are fun. What I like is that it harkens back to the day when maybe vampires, werewolves, Greek gods and such were not perhaps the best dating material. In fact, one might consider them possibly dangerous instead of, you know, all smoldering, intense and wounded beneath their tough Alpha male exterior. *snort* And yes, I know I'm just as guilty of that, too, though mine are aliens instead. : )

No comments: