Wednesday, August 27, 2008

College Admissions? Research help!

Anybody out there work in college admissions or know anything about it?
 
For a book, I need to know what would happen if someone didn't apply until April or May of his senior year.
 
I realize it probably depends on the school and the circumstances, but I'm just trying to get a vague idea whether it would be possible for a student with good grades, good ACT score, but no extra curriculars and some behavior issues to still get into a four-year school for fall semester if he applies so late. Would he be waitlisted? Considered for spring semester?
 
Also, while we're on this subject, what else do college admissions folks look for? I don't remember anymore! He'd have the grades and the scores, but there would be a lot of absences on his record. Notes about illnesses and incidents at his high school. Do colleges actually look at your "permanent record"? Would it be possible and/or ethical for the principal of said school to include a note about a student's difficulties when sending in the requested info to the college? 
 
Thanks for any help you out there in cyber-land can give!
 
: )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK you dufus, you have a sister who now works in admissions. lol I'll ask around for you. By the way, I had forgotten how much I love working in the library. It is freaking awesome.

Stacey said...

Aw, thanks, Susan. I didn't think about you working for Admissions. I guess I was just thinking about the tour guide part of it. But yeah, if you can find out for me, without causing too much extra work for yourself or anyone else, that would be GREAT! : )

I've never worked in a library (or a bookstore), but it is a long-held dream of mine. Glad you're enjoying work again!

Love,
Stacey

Anonymous said...

Stace -- dare to dream!

Susan -- HI! :)

Love,

Stac