Monday, September 29, 2008

My weekend project and other random musings...

Okay, so somewhere in this post (I'm posting via email, so I'm not quite sure) there will be a picture of my writing room with the newly installed blinds I put in yesterday. By MYSELF. With only a few panicked phone calls to a friend who did not laugh when I asked about using a drill bit that was THREE times the size of the one mentioned in the instructions. Yeah.
 
I not only found the other drill bits but also remembered from sixth grade wood shop how to change them out. Dude. I am so proud.
 
(Tangent: the power drill has long been my nemesis. In sixth grade, when we lived in Hillsboro, IL, I was forced to take wood shop. I also had to take home ec and hated that almost as much, but nothing traumatic occurred there...other than being forced to, you know, cook. I was terrified of the jig saw, among other things. I just think power tools and 11 year olds are a bad combination.
 
Anyway, on some project, can't remember which one, I had to use a power drill. I picked one up that someone had been using and the bottom, where the cord attached, was super hot. Instinct took over--you let go of something that hot. But it had also been drilled--no pun intended--into our heads that if we broke a tool, we'd have to pay for it. So I grabbed for the falling drill. Brilliant, right?
 
Caught it by the drill bit, which cut into the vulnerable space between my ring and little finger--you know that little webbing area? Not a deep cut or anything, but enough that there was blood. I am NOT good with blood. Didn't really know that at the time, though.
 
Someone saw me and told the teacher. And this was the worst part. He sprayed my hand with this bright green antiseptic stuff. It made it hurt worse, and it smelled like a hospital.
 
Shortly after that I started seeing little white spots out of the corner of my eyes. Thought I had wood shavings in my safety glasses. Nope, I was in the first stage of fainting...or more likely, now that I know myself a bit better, the midst of a panic attack triggered first by the fear of dropping the drill, then the cut on my hand and the blood, and the embarrassment of everyone staring at me. 
 
Yeah. The spots got worse and near fainting ensued. Two girls had to help carry me from class to the office. Uh-huh, that worked wonders for my reputation, let me tell you.
 
But now, twenty some years later, I have triumphed and used the power drill without incident!)  
 
Other things...watched the fourth (?) episode of True Blood, this one not written by Alan Ball, and as predicted by various critics, I think I did like it better than the previous three. Bill seemed to have a bit more personality. Pam, one of my favorite characters in the books, was awesome. Hilarious, in fact. "In the vault" indeed.
 
As always, those who are acting vampire-y always seem a bit too campy (is that possible?). Long Shadow, an interesting character in the book, sort of seemed kind of laughable with his posturing and his fangs. And if they follow the book, he should seem to be at least a threat. But others, like the Taryn chick who took the tourist to the bathroom to, um, snack on, were scary. Can't figure out it if depends on the actor, the direction or just me at a particular moment.
 
Eric was fabulous. Younger than what I pictured in my head, but with the accent..um, yeah. Wow.
 
I've been reading this series of books for years now, and it's been kind of fun seeing the story in a different medium. I like Anna Paquin as Sookie. The actor playing her brother is perfect. Even Tara, whose role is VERY different from that in the book, I enjoy.
 
Yeah, I procrastinated a lot this weekend. But it was fun and relatively productive!
 
: ) Stacey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just noticed... in this picture your desk is on the opposite side of the room that it was on the last time I was there...

Stacey said...

It's also a brand new desk. ; )