Tuesday, May 04, 2004

"The luckiest girl in the whole wide world"
So, I was being a dork when I wrote that headline, but I do feel very fortunate. I have some awesome friends : ) You guys have always been there to support me and I appreciate that more than words can say. And especially this week, Heather posted the link to my Valpo interview on her site, Ed helped me update this site (twice!), Ed and Deb told a whole group of people about my book this last weekend and Stacy G. is writing my very first guest column for me. Not to mention all the people who signed up (or attempted to sign up) for GalaxSHE. Thanks you guys, it means a lot : )

In other news...
The closing on my new house has changed so while that sucks, that makes me feel a lot more comfortable with the idea of getting the first issue of GalaxSHE out there by the middle of May. Also, as far as GalaxSHE goes, I believe you do have to create a yahoo id and password in order to sign up. I'm not sure why. And in fact, Becky D. managed to sign up without creating a profile, so I'm in awe of her technical feat and hope she'll share that info with me : ) The profile doesn't really hurt anything, it's just more questions and blah, blah, stuff to read and fill out. Actually, if you want to sign up directly, just send me an email. I can add you directly. You'll still have to confirm your membership, but I don't think you'll have to create a profile.

Right now, I'm in a bit of a quandry. I'm still finishing up my current project. But in the evenings, I'm working on my new project, which is actually revising something I'd already written. Boy, this would be a lot easier to describe, if I didn't have that weird quirk about telling people about things in progress. However, what I'm finding is the temptation to rewrite rather than revise. Rewriting to me means that you keep the basic ideas but change pretty much everything else, while revising is more fixing just what's wrong. The tricky thing is that it's hard to tell whether this urge is a valid one or not. Sometimes things need to be rewritten, they can be better. Other times, it's simply the perfectionist in every writer saying, oh, dear Lord, I can do better than this, can't I? And if you're not careful, you can end up rewriting the same book, the same page or even sentence into eternity -- that is perhaps the writer's version of hell.

So, right now, I'm trying to figure out my next step on this. Some part of me wants to rewrite also because certain ideas got lost along the way side. As I said for me, when I'm really lucky, the characters show up and start talking to me. If I don't listen, they go away. Other times, if they catch me not listening, but I'm pretty close, they just get cranky and leave me with that feeling that I've not quite got it right, but close enough to keep going. That's sort of the way I feel right now, but I'm not sure how I'm going to fix that.

Well, I'll keep you updated in these bizarre abstract terms that I'm sure you must love to read! : )

Talk to you tomorrow!

No comments: