Friday, May 21, 2004

To Do List

Right now, I've got a lot going on. So, I'm going to use my blog entry today to help me keep track of all that I'm supposed to be doing (writing-related only) because if I don't write it down, I'm going to lose track of something. So I beg of you your patience with me : )

1. First issue of GalaxSHE, coming soon...I hope: I've got most of my letter from the editor written, and my first guest columnist, Stacy G., has written a great column. But I've got a few more sections to write. Also, just a note...if you haven't signed up and you want to, email me and I'll add you to the list. It's a lot easier that way than having you go through the whole yahoogroups process.

2. Marketing/Promotional items: I'd like to have some postcards, keychains, bookplates, flyers, etc. ready to take with me to my writer's conference in July. Plus, I want to start giving things away! But right now, I'm waiting on final art from the cover artist and an ISBN for the book. I think ISBN stands for International Standard Book Number. If I put that on the materials, you should be able to take that number into any bookstore and order the book.

3. Blurbs/reviews: the book is coming out in September. I believe my editor said the ARCs would be ready about June 1. ARC stands for Advance Reading Copy, I believe. That's what you send to reviewers and other authors to have them read it and provide you with awesome (hopefully) clips to put on your book. I need to get working on who I should be contacting for blurbs. I have three authors in mind right now. But I'm not sure if any of them will agree to read the book. And part of me is also scared to send it to them. While I'm proud of what I've done, what if they can't find anything good to say about it? These are authors that I greatly admire, some of them are the reasons why I wanted to write this book in the first place. It would be totally crushing if they came back with anything negative. I'm also afraid to ask just because it's like asking for a favor from someone you don't know. True, it gives them a little boost and it's flattering to be asked, but still. So, I need to come up with letters to send to them asking them to do this for me. Eeek.

4. Schedule signings and events: the book is due out in September, but it takes a few months to get on the calendar at book stores. So, I really need to be contacting them right about now. But I don't have anything to show them, no marketing materials, no flyers, no ARC, so I can't really set up any meetings. But I'm not sure if they need all that stuff anyway. Last summer, I was in a writing group that met at Barnes and Noble in Deer Park and the CRM (community relations manager) was very cool there. So, I'm hoping if I call her, she'll not only want a signing : ), but also will help me with what I need to have to do this type of thing. I'm also worried that even if I get signings, people might not show up or even stop by the table, so I need to be thinking of something kind of gimmicky, like a giveaway in the store or something,to get people to at least stop by.

5.Creative Writing Class: Right now, only one person is signed up. I'd like to post some flyers at Bloomingdale's library to advertise but I have to create the flyers first and then have them approved by the Business Office before I can post them. I also have to come up with more specific exercises and lessons to follow my proposed class syllabus.

6. Work on next project. Sounds simple. But it's probably the hardest out of all of these and yet the most fun. : )

So, what needs to be done to accomplish all of this?
-determine exact release date in September of The Silver Spoon
-find out when ISBN and cover art will be ready.
-draft marketing material language.
-confirm with RuneStone availability of ARCs and confirm that selected authors are okay to contact.
-Call Marianne, my Barnes and Noble contact, to find out what is needed to schedule a signing and also to have the store carry the book. Call other CRMs to set things up. Send BN list of questions to RuneStone?
-draft letters to authors requesting a blurb.
-create flyers for Creative Writing Class. Get them approved.
-write exercises and lessons for class syllabus.
-contact UW-Madison Writer's Institute to find out about sending some materials ahead of time for inclusion in the book fair area.
-write and revise the newsletter.
-write, work on next project.

Plus, work and pack and move. Good grief, no wonder why I'm a giant stress-ball right now. Well, it helps to have it all written down. Now, I can refer back to it when I need to. I'm just afraid, being new to this process, I'll miss the deadline for something without even realizing that was the deadline. You know, something like, oh, you can't have a signing here, you need to schedule that six months in advance. : (

Okay, deep even breaths. It will be fine. I just have to prioritize now and keep working at the items one by one...The weird part is, this is fun! Not the stress stuff, obviously, but what I'm getting to do is fun : ) So, I have to do my best to remember that!

Have a great weekend, you guys. Thanks for your patience.
I'll talk to you on Monday.





No comments: