Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Wednesday blahs.

I just cannot seem to focus today. I don't know why, and it's driving me crazy. I think it has something to do with hitting a snag in my evening project yesterday. I was trying to make her (ha, all my main characters have been female so far, so that's not a revelation of any kind...watch me cheat my own quirky rules!) do something that was so out of character. See, for whatever reason, the way this works for me is that I see something in my head, especially toward the beginning of a project, and then I try to get it all down on paper. But sometimes, I don't get the full picture or sometimes, I plain old get it wrong.

Then I have to battle between the picture in my mind and what I know of my characters. In this particular case, she's shouting at me, "I wouldn't do that, it's stupid. Fix it." Only she's not telling me how to fix it, just yet. Some of them are better at that than others : ) In this particular case, she thinks I ought to be able to figure out for myself. And she's right. So, I have to go back and try to figure out what's wrong. I think I know in this case, but I've been surprised before. Then once I do that, everything usually opens up for a few more pages. Really, in some cases, writing is like my commute home. You can be flying along, no problems at all, and then BAM, you hit a snarl of traffic that has to work itself out and you're down to under 5 mph. Then you get past that and you're zooming along again, and around that corner, more snarly traffic. I try to remind myself that it's just part of the process. You can't fight it, you just have to live through it and keep working at it. Anne Lamott is a good one for that. She wrote a great book on writing called Bird By Bird. I always go back to it when I'm feeling a little low.

In other news...
One person has signed up for my Creative Writing class. Yea! Doesn't sound like much, but last week it was zero. And I only need four to make the class available.

Also, I contacted Blogger to find out what's the deal with the comments not showing up until I republish, so hopefully that will be resolved soon.

Ugh. All of our boxes have arrived and I'm seriously freaking out about getting everything packed in two weeks. And as most of you know, when I panic, I freeze up. Which means, nothing will get done if I don't un-panic! I keep reminding myself that I will like the new house once I get there. I just have to get there. I've even been thinking about getting a chaise lounge for my writing room. I think it would be cool to be able to lounge in there and read/edit manuscripts instead of in the bedroom on the bed where my husband is trying to sleep, watch tv, etc. He gets cranky if I have the lights on past midnight, with good reason. But the chaise lounge I found is like $300 and I'm saving my money for a new computer (end of this month, I hope!) and an IPod (no, I can't let it go. It's just so darn cool. But I am getting the more sensible, white 15 Gig instead of the cute blue 4 Gig.)

Talk to you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Eddie said...

Be very careful when buying an iPod. For starters, it won't work with the current system you have. It needs at least a Firewire or USB 2.0 connector (I know ... I know ... that's why I said I'ld help you with your computer :).

BTW, this post proves to me that you are indeed crazy. Just remember that there is good crazy (see Albert Einstein) and there is bad crazy (See Hobgoblin from Spiderman comics).

Stacey said...

Armed with the specs you gave me, I'm planning to buy a new computer at the end of this month. I've already been doing a little research. I like the HPs. I know, I know, they're so totally not the cool computer to get. But I like them : ) And as for IPod, I need at least Windows 2000 and a USB port, I believe. So with a new computer, I should be set, right? If I need something different in the USB area, can you tell me what? : )

And per your blog, I am not obssessed with PajamaGrams. They're just the best in the whole world, that's all : )