Thursday, September 22, 2005

It's two, two, two mints in one.

Bonus points to you if you understand the reference in the title. I'm pretty sure you have to be born after 1985 to even have a shot at it.

I'm sitting here at work with my work all done, but I'm trapped by the giant downpour of rain and my unwillingness to get completely soaked and then ride in car for 50 minutes, alternately shivering in the a/c and getting really uncomfortable in the resulting mugginess when I turn the a/c off.

Anyway, last night I had two very common anxiety dreams in one horrible package. The first one is one that I've had variations of for years. I was back in college and had signed up for a real estate class (this is probably coming from the fact that my husband is currently in real estate classes) but had completely forgotten and/or refused to go, and suddenly it's final exam time and I'm freaking out about passing. What's funny is I remember trying to justify my absenteeism to my roommate (no freaking clue who it was, one of those faceless people who float in and out of dreams) by telling her that it was completely unfair to expect me to go to the class as it was always on a Saturday. And in the middle of the afternoon!

In that same dream, or should I say, loosely connected series of events in my unconscious mind, I experienced the "naked in front of everyone" moment. Apparently, I was at the library, probably to study. It was a very nice library, dark hardwood shelves and floors. For whatever reason, I decide to shower at the library. And look, there's a convenient shower head sticking out the ceiling right here in the bookstacks. I have no recollection of the getting undressed part, but the standing there, sopping wet and naked, part is very clear to me. I couldn't figure out why people were staring and then I realized that it was obviously because they weren't used to people showering out in full view and then I was very, very embarrassed. Sheesh.

This was almost as bad as the dream I had, after graduating from college, where I showed up for an English class in a t-shirt I used to sleep in because I was freaked out about being late for class and didn't have time to change. The professor got very upset with me anyway, despite my efforts to be punctual. So I was late and underdressed. That dream still sticks with me very clearly!

All right, I'm going to brave the rain : (

No comments: