Friday, January 27, 2006

Making mistakes

For the last couple of days, I’ve been stressing and worrying over prepping an email query. Last night, I got everything done, pulled it all together, spell checked everything and then I made my fatal mistake. Because I’m paranoid, I saved the email with its attachments to my draft file in Hotmail while I checked out one last little fact. After I got confirmation of the fact in question, I returned to Hotmail, pulled the email out of the draft file and sent it. And then immediately realized that, for whatever reason, when you save a draft in Hotmail, it drops the attachments. So, yes, the query email that I’d spent so much time and energy on went to the publisher without the required attachments.

I quickly sent another email with the attachments and I hope it won’t reflect too poorly on me. Or that they won’t accidentally delete the email with the attachments as a duplicate. Ugh. I hate this. Querying is hard enough. I don’t need technology tripping me up. And yeah, I could have used my other email account (I only have four of them), but of course, I didn’t know that Hotmail suffered from this flaw until after I made the mistake.

All that kept running through my head last night was that line from that movie with Matt Damon and Clare Danes that was a John Grisham book first. “They say you make twenty-five mistakes when you commit a crime, but you’ll be lucky if you remember five.” So, now, of course, I’m wondering if I screwed up other stuff in the query as well. Oh, I’m so tired right now…

No comments: