Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Libraries

I visited my local library for the second time last weekend and found myself charmed again by the quaintness of it. Their card catalog actually has cards. Most "card" catalogs are online now. Plus, they still use that machine--the one that goes "ka-chunck, ka-chunk"--to stamp dates on the due date cards inside each book. When I asked to request a book, they told me to fill out a little piece of paper with my name and number. They had no idea who had the book or when it was due back in because nothing is computerized. It's shocking how quickly you get used to life with computers at the center of it.

I'm pretty sure I was a kid the last time I was in a library like this. I loved our library in Hillsboro. They had a huge wooden circulation desk, one that I could barely see over, right in front of the doors. The finish on the top of the desk was worn and flaking off from all the book covers being slid across it. Two fake leather armchairs sat in front of fake fireplace to the left. The adult section, big, mysterious and full of thick books, was located on the opposite side of the main floor from the children's section, all the better to keep curious children away. If I remember correctly, my mom had to sign a form to allow me to check out adult books as I'd read my way through the entire children's section. In fact, the library used to call our house to let me know when they got new books in. I love small towns and small libraries!

I'm off to go pick up my requested book--I just got the call that it's been turned it. : )

1 comment:

Pat Kirby said...

I don't think I'd even know how to use a card catalogue anymore. Despite being in New Mexico (the state whose motto should be, "Well, at least we're not Kansas"), the Albuquerque Library System is pretty good. And you don't have to live in Albuquerque to use it; just be a New Mexico resident.

Everything is computerized and they don't charge fines unless the book is really, really late. You get email notifications when your hold arrives.

Oddly modern in a back-a__ state.

I love the library.