Saturday, February 14, 2004

I've been remiss in keeping my journal updated this week, I know! But I'm back...And in honor of Valentine's Day, I'm creating another list, Favorite Fictional Couples! (I've got the movie Never Been Kissed on in the other room. For those who have seen the movie, then you know where I got my inspiration from.

So, in no particular order...
1. Samantha Carter and Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG-1): Yes, it's against the rules and therefore, kept quiet, but darn it, if that doesn't make it even more interesting to watch. Plus, Carter is one smart, beautiful and kick-butt heroine, all the better to root for her!

2. Buffy and Angel (Buffy the Vampire Slayer): Gotta love love between a vampire slayer and a vampire.

3. Anita Blake and Jean-Claude (Anita Blake mystery series): Same as above. But Jean-Claude is perhaps a little darker than our vampire with a soul, and that makes him even more fascinating.

3. Scully and Mulder: Okay, I know they never officially were a couple, but you get the idea...

4. Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice): Was there ever a sexier, crabby guy in literature? Well, maybe Heathcliffe.

5. Max and Liz (Roswell): Coming to DVD next week!

6. Baby and Johnny (Dirty Dancing): Yes, I am revealing my age and my sentimentality with this one! Okay, who, as a teenager, wouldn't want a handsome, older dance instructor to take a special interest in her? Plus, Patrick Swayze's back muscles! (Remember, Becky and Julie? Probably Ed is rolling his eyes at this, if he's even made it this far down the list.)

7. Arwen and Arragorn (Lord of the Rings, the movies): I confess, I haven't read these books, but the scenes involving their relationship, especially in this last movie, were enough to make me teary.

8. Han Solo and Princess Leia (Star Wars, esp. Empire Strikes Back): HS: "We don't have time to run this past a committee." PL: "I am not a committee!" I love the dialogue between the two of them, especially in Empire Strikes Back. Is there any better example of snappy exchanges and sharp-tongued insults (nerfherder!) hiding such love? It was as much fun to watch them argue as it was to see them get together in the end.

9. Danielle and Henri (Ever After): Okay, I know this is a a total chick flick and Drew Barrymore's accent is occasionally questionable. But I can't help it! Who could not love the idea of being a spunky heroine and still getting the prince? Plus, marrying into royalty...usually a good move, when possible.

10. Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese (Terminator): A man sent back through time to save the woman he's loved for his whole life even though he's never met her before--oh, I feel my tear ducts filling even as I write. The third movie in this series came out this summer and while some scoff at the impossible physics shown in the movie (Ed!), I loved the new actor playing John Connor, the son of Kyle and Sarah. He looked so much like the actor who played Kyle Reese, and he and Clare Danes looked great together. But, now with the Terminator serving as Governor, it doesn't look like the 4th movie that they were all contracted for will be possible : (

11. Claire and Jamie (Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series): Though I haven't finished reading the series, the first book is definitely the best of those I have read. Again, a man and woman separated by centuries fall in love. But it's more than your average romance novel. It's a historical novel with action, adventure, time travel and romance all blended together. Trust me, I'm not a fan of the average romance novel.

12. Sara and Grissom (CSI): Okay, nothing has ever happened between them. But we can keep on hoping. That scene a few weeks ago in the episode where the nurse was killed. And Grissom, in trying to get the doctor to confess, talks about Sara, and how he missed his chance with her. But, of course, Sara is listening, so we don't know how this will turn out! *Sigh*

Think of any I missed? I'm sure there are some. Send me an email: sklemstein@msn.com

Happy Valentine's Day!

Talk to you tomorrow.

No comments: