Monday, February 02, 2004

Okay, Ed did my first blog for me last night as a test run. So this is my first try all by my lonesome. Doesn't sound like much but for someone as computer-challenged as I am, we'll see how well this works.

And now that I'm actually writing this, I find myself surprisingly self-conscious about it. Anyway, the point of the blog was to have an opportunity to talk about writing stuff, give the people who interested updates on my book, pose deep universal questions, like what are belly buttons? Are they scars? Why don't they completely heal over? (I actually had a conversation about this once with a bewildered co-worker, thank you Paula, because I needed to know for book research. So when my book is published and you read it [you will read it, right?] then you will see why this strange information was needed.)

Onto publishing, my book, The Silver Spoon, is being considered by a couple different small publishers. I should be hearing back from them within the next month or so, I hope.

I'm also taking a book publicity course now that will be finishing up in the next couple of weeks. It's been a lot of hard work but fun. And I had a lot of help from my dramatically underpaid (read: free) publicist-friend, Stacy G.

My first mystery, Bitter Pill, is pretty much done. I need to make the edits provided by all those who have read it, thank you everyone! I'm debating about sending that out for consideration, but it would be nice to have the publishing credit of The Silver Spoon first. Plus, I don't know how that works, if you end up with needing to promote two books at one time from different companies. So, we'll see about that.

I should be hearing back from the Bloomingdale Park District any time this week about my creative writing class which I'm very excited to teach. It will be interesting. I just want to make it useful and enjoyable for all who sign up. I'm a little nervous though, the last thing I taught was second grade Bible School! But I've got a good plan, I think, for the class. I just need to work on some activities/assignments. Hope students don't think it's weird to get homework in a Park District class, but I'm not sure how else to do it. The class is only an hour long, so you can't have a discussion and time to work on an assignment in that amount of time. Guess I'll have to wing it and see. Course, maybe I should be worrying about people signing up for the class first!

Thanks once again to Ed for helping me set this up and for Ed's friend, Chris, for hosting my site.

Feel free to email me with any suggestions, thoughts, deep universal questions of your own.

Talk to you tomorrow!

No comments: