Tuesday, February 24, 2004

More exciting news!
I emailed my professors at VU to let them know that my book was going to be published and to say thank you for all the help they'd given me as a student (and after). And they asked me if I would consider coming to campus in the fall, after my book is published, to do a reading and possibly speak to a creative writing class. Okay, how freaking cool is that?!? And on top of that, I've also been asked to be the judge for the short-fiction category of Wordfest, the campus literary contest (which I was too afraid to enter when I was a student there!)

So, I'm really excited about all of this. It's such an honor to be asked and a privilege to be recognized, especially by people who have taught me so much.

The great thing about this is the opportunity to tell other people, other aspiring writers that it is possible, that it can be done, by someone just like them. Like I said a few blogs ago, I once wanted to be a librarian just so I could be close to the books. Being a writer seemed about as possible as being a movie star. And I've gotten a chance to take that first really big step. I don't want this to sound cheesey, but I want people to know that they can do it too. That you don't have to be a librarian (unless you want to), you can reach for and get your dream.

Okay, I think that's enough of the inspirational talk for now. Forgive me, folks, occasionally I ascend to somewhere around cloud 118 when I think about all of this (obscure reference to a cliche...never mind!) I'm just so excited! Okay, breathe. All right. That's better.

Tomorrow...perhaps something on fear of rejection and its evil twin, fear of success?

Talk to you tomorrow.

No comments: