Monday, April 19, 2004

Kicka$$!
This is not necessarily directly related to writing, but I wanted to share this news anyway. As some of you know, I started taking kickboxing a little over a year ago. I began simply to do research for the Zara Mitchell series. Basically, if Zara didn't learn how to defend herself to some extent (you can't really defend yourself completely against aliens that have you way outpowered, but she could at least learn to hit hard enough or smart enough to trigger a connection, if need be. For those who haven't read the book, this won't make any sense. But it will when you read it!), she was going to spend the rest of the series getting knocked around by everyone and their stasis tank mates.

So, I signed up for kickboxing to understand the basics and be able to represent some moves on paper in a way that would make sense for her and seem real to the reader. It was a no contact class, so I wouldn't have to worry about being beaten senseless. As a rather clumsy person naturally, I was worried about that possibility. What I also liked about kickboxing was that it seemed to be a good fit for Zara. It's very straightforward, kicking and punching. And I think there's something very empowering about a woman throwing a real, loosen your teeth punch. And Zara's not all about the fancy moves at this point. She just wants to survive.

So, that was a year ago. It took me a good part of that year to get comfortable with what I was doing. If you know me, you know I can be a bit of a perfectionist. I worried a lot about proper form and getting it right, which meant I was slower and not as hard hitting as some other people in class. The breakthrough for me in comfort level finally came about four months ago when I was really angry about something at work, I don't remember what (with Corporate America, who knows?!?) And I came to class ready to hit something and not think quite as much as I had been. Since then, it's been awesome! Following through with the body on punches, making the pads give up that cool *thwump* noise when you score a good kick. It's fun! And this is coming from someone who hates to sweat.

So tonight, my instructor (who is this totally buff and strong, Linda-Hamilton- in-T2-type person) approached me and said they were considering adding to the program and needed new instructors. And would I be interested?!? Can you believe it? She said I had good form!!!

Now, this may not seem like so much to some of you out there, but you have to understand, I'm the person who can injure herself just by walking into a room. I get bruises from bumping into furniture that's not even in the way. I once injured my knee, giving myself a giant green and purple bruise in concentric circles, by ramming my elbow into while trying to follow along to an aerobics tape in my apartment. It's sad.

But I love kickboxing! It feels so good to exercise and enjoy it, rather than just doing it because I ate two bagels for breakfast and feel guilty, which is my normal motivation. And I'd love to teach it. It's so much fun to see people get things that they didn't before. And if I could show someone how to enjoy exercise, the way my instructor has taught me, all the better. Plus, this would really work well with some of my plans for book promotion. Not to mention, a little more cash coming in that wouldn't be from Corporate America. : )

So, I have to think about it. It's another night away from home. And I've got a lot going on right now, especially with my new career : ) (It's so much fun just to say that!) But I just wanted to share my good news. I'll keep you posted!

Talk to you tomorrow!

No comments: