Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A cool quote...

After our discussion a couple weeks ago about children's books, I thought this article summed up what we were talking about in a great way. It's a sort of eulogy for a children's author, Catherine Woolley, who passed away this week but also just this writer's (Gail Fashingbauer Cooper) explanation for why we love these books so much even into adulthood. I'm quoting some of it here, but be sure to check out the whole thing. It's good.

I especially love the last line of the quote (the italics are mine). It describes exactly how I feel about certain books and characters. I think Becky D. sent me an email awhile ago saying she also felt this way about some characters and books.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have survived my childhood without my "book friends." : ) Or, at least, my childhood certainly wouldn't have been as enjoyable. Heck, forget childhood. Paperbound friends still add immeasurable joy to my life. : )

"Children's books can stay with us for our entire lives, if they're good enough. Series books are special friends, because we can keep coming back for something new, progressing through life with the characters.

I should know. Years ago I found an online group that discussed the series books of Lenora Mattingly Weber, and not only is the group still active via email, but we gather each summer in a group member's hometown. We know what the kids who stood in line last weekend for Harry Potter's latest also know, that sometimes friends can be made inside bound pages."

No comments: