Monday, July 18, 2005

Two more years...at least!

Spent most of Saturday at Hogwarts and had a fabulous time! *grin* I enjoyed this one so much more than the last (Harry was being very whiney and teenager-y in the last one, for which I give Rowling props for realism but 1,000 pages of that is a little wearing).

In my opinion, J.K. Rowling deserves every bit of money and success that she's received. The books are good, funny, sweet and sad. But they're also consistent (one of my other nitpicks for books) and great examples of character development.

Plus, as much as I think it would be great to have that kind of fame and fortune, I can't even imagine the pressure she must be under to deliver the next installment. Not just the 1,000 pages to write or whatever, but keeping up with people's expectations. When you write a series, people always have something to compare the latest book to. "It wasn't as good as the first," etc. But then again, I believe I read somewhere that she never lets anyone else's expectations trouble her. She just remains true to her vision of the story. How freaking amazing is that? I hope I can learn that lesson. I'm trying. If I were in her situation, self-doubt would have chewed me up and spit me out long ago. After awhile, your own anxiety (being successful only gives you something to lose) makes it difficult to tell whether you've lived up to your own vision of things or not. It's truly jumping off the ledge sometimes and hoping for a soft landing.

I always forget in the intervening time how funny these books are. Laugh out loud funny, in some cases. And very, very smart.

I'm so pleased to see that sales of the book exceeded the box office sales for both of the big movies out this weekend, including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. A big yea for reading! I love that people find it so strange that all this hoopla surrounds a book's release, but nobody blinked an eye when people sat outside for WEEKS in advance of the latest Star Wars movie. I think it's terrific that a book can generate so much enthusiasm and in this particular case, the book in question happens to deserve it.

*sigh* Now, I'm guessing it'll be 2007 until the next one, at a minimum. Arrrggh. I told my husband, it's like being poised at the top of the highest hill of a roller coaster and being forced to wait there...for two years.

I do have some questions. Little odd things that are tickling at the back of my mind. So, if/when others of you finish reading it, let me know, okay?

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Yeah, let's do that!!! I'm working from home tomorrow, but I should have access to work account : )