Monday, July 11, 2005

New books and new television this week!

Of course, everybody knows about the new Harry Potter book coming out on Friday, at midnight. I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to stay up or not. Last time, my brother and I went and stayed up until about 2:00 a.m., for fear that we wouldn't get our copies. But then, as my husband loves to point out, there were tons of copies everywhere (like Target) the next day.

So, I'm thinking I'll probably just wait until Saturday to go and get it. I know, kind of a party pooper thing to do, right? When the fourth book came out, my family happened to be in town, so my husband and I took my sister, who was probably only 11 or 12 at the time, to the bookstore at midnight. I think she got a kick out of it. So much stuff, I'm finding, is a lot more fun with little kids around to get excited about it. Most of us grown-up types are just too damn jaded.

But before Harry Potter on Friday/Saturday, it's new book Tuesday! And the latest Suzanne Brockmann is coming out tomorrow. I found Suzanne Brockmann by accident and promptly gobbled up all of her books as quickly as I could get my hands on them. She writes military-type romances, which is so not something I'd normally be interested in (despite Top Gun and An Officer and a Gentlemen), but the characters are so well-drawn and believable. I just love the stories. And this one in particular is one I've been waiting for. Often the secondary romance in the book gets drawn out over several books and this one, between Max and Gina, is one of my favorites. I can't wait to see what happens. She was a hostage on a hijacked plane. He was the FBI negotiator who kept her company during her ordeal and worked for her release. Sounds kind like something you've read before right? Except she's like 22 when this happens and he's in his early forties. She falls in love with him and that totally freaks him out because of the age difference. He loves her too, but he feels it's wrong and that she deserves better. Oh, I can't wait to see how they figure it all out. I think I'm also going to pick up the Chronicles of Narnia, in preparation for the movie later this summer.

Also, the best show on television, in my humble opinion, returns this week with new episodes. Yes, it's time to welcome back blog entries entitled "Happy Battlestar Galactica Friday!" Woohoo! New episodes return this Friday, and I can't wait to see what happens next. Though, when we last left them, they had characters in three different places. Galactica, a planet presumed to be the legendary Kobol and Caprica. I'm eager for the folks on Caprica to get back to Galactica because I love the interaction between Starbuck and Apollo. But poor Helo has some difficult times ahead as he tries to explain exactly what happened with Sharon 2.0 on the planet. Hee, hee. Can't wait!

Also SG-1 returns. I'm a little less enthusiastic about this one. O'Neill isn't going to be a regular character on the show anymore, which means his romance with Samantha Carter is probably going to go a big fat nowhere. But I'm interested to see how they integrate the guy from Farscape into the story and I hope the woman from Farscape will come back into the picture. Daniel needs an interesting love interest, for a change, instead of some chick who is Gou'ald, was a Gou'ald or soon will be a Gou'ald. (I'm not sure I've got the spelling right on Gou'ald but you get the idea.) However, on the O'Neill and Sam romance, though, I did catch a glimpse of a couple kissing in the preview for this season. And, after making my husband rewind it frame by frame (oh yeah, he loved that), I do believe it is O'Neill and Sam kissing. So, I'll at least tune in to see that part : )

All right, I've rambled long enough! : )

No comments: