Thursday, July 14, 2005

"Wish I had a camera phone" post

Saw not one but two license plates, and therefore cars, from Alaska this morning. That was new. Never seen one of those before ever. I wondered if the people knew each other, as the cars were not very far apart from each other in traffic. But when one passed the other, they gave no such indication as I would have. You know, waving madly, honking or giving some secret "hey, we're both from Alaska" hand signal. Perhaps people from Alaska are not as strange as I am, though. You should see me when I see a Valpo bumper or window sticker. I'm always very tempted to go chasing after the person, just to wave, even though they'll probably have no idea why I'm doing that and odds are, I won't even know them personally. Perhaps we need to develop some kind of secret "hey, you went to Valpo too" hand signal. Or...not.

: )

1 comment:

Pat Kirby said...

I know what you mean. Our stupid state finally got around to remembering that UNM isn't the only big university in the state. I'm trying to scrape up $35 bucks to get an NMSU plate for my car. Especially since I live in Lobo (UNM) land and rarely see mention of my Alma Mater.

Really wild plate I saw: Hawaii.

Have you tried the Artemis Fowl books? They are in a contemporary setting and feature an evil boy genius. But, really he isn't all that evil, just a genius. (Does the right thing in the end.) Lots of fun supporting charaters. Author's name is Eoin Colfer.

In the oldy but good list are the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. The cartoon movie "The Black Cauldron" is based on them, but the books are so much better.

Congrats on the writing awards.