Thursday, March 11, 2004

More Quirkiness
Based on the other day's blog about my weird little rituals for writing, I got an email from my good friend Stacy who was willing to share the depths of her quirkiness (way deeper than mine...okay, not really).

So here's what Stacy has to say:
Every morning when I come into work I have to "X" out the day on my calendar (cross it off). I had this teacher in high school who used to say that "wake-ups" are the hardest part of the day...once you survived the waking up and getting moving portion of the day, you're day was pretty much over. So instead of saying "three more days till Friday," she'd say, "two more wake-ups till Friday." She saw time in terms of wake-ups, not days.

So, I somehow made that idea my own when I started working and as soon as I come into work, I have to cross off the day on the calendar. Before I get coffee. Before I log on to my computer. It's the first thing I do after taking off my coat (Because, see, I made it through the wake-up process and to my little cube). If I forget to cross off the day or get distracted and can't do it till later in the day, I feel agitated and like I can't really concentrate or settle into the day...or I get that vague sense all day that I forgot something or that something is missing.


But then Stacy goes on to give, almost as an afterthought, this gem, which I love:
And I also have to put my pants & shoes on right leg first and walk up stairs starting with my right foot (if I do any of these things using my left foot first, I'll actually redo them...yep, I'll go back down the stairs and start up again on my right foot).

That made me laugh! Course, this is coming from the girl (me) who used to have to hang her clothes on the exact same hangers every time. Like, this paticular sweatshirt belongs on this particular hanger. No other hanger will do. And no, it had nothing to do with writing for me, just general sense of control. I might possibly need therapy for this...I'm not sure.
____________________

Also, I want to take this opportunity to respond the man's code listed in Ed's blog this week.

Women do have rules as well. At least, I think so, but I'm not sure if others would agree. And many of them revolve around bathroom etiquette.

For example, if you are at dinner with several other couples and you need to find the bathroom, you are required to ask if the women-half of those other couples would like to come as well.

Conversely, if the other women at the table get up to go to the restroom and you are not asked to come along, you are being snubbed. Never doubt it. Unless there is a purse-watching issue. Which leads to another rule.

Purse/bags must be watched at all times. Even if there's nothing inherently valuable and no imminent threat of theft, the purse must still be watched. Which means, just as you would with a child, arrangements must be made for purse-watching before the woman can comfortably leave her purse behind. She must say, "Watch my purse, okay?" And the friend/husband/boyfriend/whomever must agree without argument, or else the woman cannot leave. And even though the odds of a friend/husband/boyfriend/whomever knowingly allowing a purse snatcher to steal the purse are low, the statement of purse protection must be made!

Another one...women, in selecting a bathroom stall, must not select one next to an already occupied stall, unless all other options are taken.

Talking in bathrooms is acceptable at any juncture, if you came in with the woman you want to talk to. Guessing based on the shoes you see under the door and then beginning a conversation is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The "fat" question--if another woman asks you if she looks fat in any article of clothing, the answer is always no. And this is key for men, who also have to follow this rule, YOU CANNOT LOOK AT THE WOMAN BEFORE/WHILE ANSWERING. Nor, can you hesitate before responding with an emphatic NO!

Those are just a few of the rules for women when interacting with other women. The rules for women interacting with men is another day's blog. Probably more likely another year's blog! : )

Send me more rules...what am I missing? Email me at Sklemstein@msn.com

No comments: