Thursday, March 25, 2004

Random thought for the day...
...what did we use the @ symbol for before email addresses? (Aside from comic book swearing, I mean. #$@#$%!) It's obviously a symbol of great importance--it rates a key on the keyboard (at least sharing one with "2"). And yet, I have no clue how it would have been used before now. Other than the occasional flyer that says "Party @ Bob's house @7:00 p.m." And if that's the only reason it exists, then why is "at" the only short word that gets a symbol. Why not "the" or "over?" Though, now, as it occurs to me to look down at the keyboard, I see that "and" is also represented with a symbol. But that's at least used sometimes, in shop signs and on junior high girls' notebooks (Sally & Bob, together 4-ever). The "at" symbol wasn't really used at all, as far as I know, until about ten years ago.

But @ has been on the keyboard for a long time. I'm pretty sure it was on the typewriter--though I can't say for certain unless I happen to stop by a museum some time soon : ) Seriously, it's just about impossible to find a typewriter these days, even one of those with the cool auto-erase functions. Which is scary, considering we spent a large part of a class in high school, learning how to type on the darned things! Anyway, I was just wondering about @, that's all...

Contest: Ten imaginary dollars and your name in tomorrow's blog to whoever can tell me the proper name for the "and" symbol. It looks like this &. It shares a key with 7. Email me with your answer, sklemstein@msn.com

In other news...
My interview with the At Valpo newsletter is tomorrow. So everyone please send positive thoughts my way tomorrow afternoon. It's a great opportunity, and I'm really excited. I'm just a little worried. They've (meaning Valpo staff) picked people, I would guess, who they think will represent Valpo in a good way, in what they've accomplished and in what they will say. I love my school (they've done a lot for me) and I just want to make sure that comes through without sounding all creepy, obssessed-like about it. Plus, I need to remember that this is an opportunity to talk (at least a little) about my book. But I'm so used to talking about my day job first and then the book, that I'm afraid I'll forget to reverse the order this time around.

And I really, really want to give answers that will make them glad they asked me, you know? Not like sucking up answers, but good, smart answers. I still need to call my dad to get his advice. I think probably the only thing I can do is take a deep breath, think before I answer, and speak slowly enough so that people don't have to have supersonic hearing to understand what I'm saying : )

Okay, I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Don't forget to write me with the name of the "&" symbol!

Talk to you tomorrow!

No comments: