Monday, April 11, 2005

The nicest thing you can say...

I nearly forgot to tell you this. Yesterday, I met with the women's group from my old church at their newly merged church for a book discussion on The Silver Spoon. I was a little nervous as my book contains some not-church-appropriate material, but it was all good. I had a lot of fun talking with them, and I think they enjoyed the discussion. At least, I hope so!

A couple people mentioned that they read this blog -- yea!! (Jan, was that you? If so, hi! And thanks for reading.) And one woman also told me one of the nicest things you can ever tell an author. She said that she'd sit down to read just a few pages with her coffee in the morning, but she'd get so into reading, she'd lose track of the time and nearly be late for work. Wow! I love that.

As a reader, I love falling so deeply into a world that I can almost forget any other world exists. As a writer, that's a huge compliment. All we want to do is show you that world from inside our heads, make it as real to you as it is to us. To be able to do that for someone is a huge honor. It's not just about writing then, but about trust. I think we buy books and read stories by the same authors over and over again because they've shown they can be trusted. They're not going to leave us hanging or let us down. So for someone to trust me, not just with their money or their time, but also with their imagination...wow. Huge, huge honor. : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Stacey! It's me, Jan. How cool to be identified on your website--thanks! I really enjoyed your talk, your book, and, most of all, meeting you. You should be so proud of yourself, being a published author. I fancied myself a writer in my younger days. Maybe you are just the inspiration I need to actually write something of substance and try to get it published. But can I take the rejection?? Probably not, but I'm considering it. Thanks!