Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Once again, running late...

I'm supposed to be leaving right NOW for kickboxing. I'll be late...again. Oh, well. Thanks to everyone for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy information. I'm going to pick it up next time I'm in the bookstore. It sounds like it has this kind of bizarre sense of humor to it, which I'll probably like : )

In the spirit of learning, I thought I'd pass along something I learned this week. A condition known as MarySue-ism. This is when either a) a character is so transparently a shell/stand-in for the author in that the character has no depth or personality, or b) a character has become so over the top (everyone loves her, she has no annoying qualities, she's unbelievably self-sacrificing, etc.) that no human being can relate to the character anymore.

Someone in one of the loops sent me a link to a whole page defining this condition. You can check it out here. Interesting, no? One of the television characters I've heard people talking about as being afflicted with MarySue-ism is Kate on Lost. I'm not sure I agree with that, though she does seem to have an inordinate amount of men lusting after her. Course, the male/female ration on that island might be to blame for that. What do you think? Has anyone else heard of this MarySue syndrome? I was surprised to learn about how long it's been around (since the early days of Star Trek.)

No comments: