Monday, April 25, 2005

On my way to St.Louis...

Just a reminder...I'm away for the rest of this week at the Romantic Times Booklover's Convention in St. Louis. Seriously, it's shaping up to be "Convention of Stacey's Favorite Authors." Laurell K. Hamilton, Linnea Sinclair, Kelley Armstrong, Denise Swanson, MaryJanice Davidson, Charlaine Harris, Kim Harrison and probably more than I'm forgetting! The best, and worst, part is that I'll be sitting at a book fair with all of these people. Oh, yeah. Someone's going to stop by my little table when all of THESE people are there!!!

Anyway, I will endeavor to take good notes as it's fun to relay all the wild and somewhat wacky stuff that happens at conventions like these. And this one looks wilder and wackier than the rest...after all, there are romance novel cover models (the male kind) roaming the halls freely, only half-dressed, or so I hear. I plan to watch from a distance...a very safe distance.

The whole idea of this convention is making me feel very much like I'm back in high school. I only know a few people and not very well. I'm worried about finding people to eat with--something I haven't worried about since about my sophomore year of high school. I'm worried about clinging too much to the few people I do know as I don't want to be one of those loser-y people who doesn't know when to leave off or strike off on her own. I'm worried about making an ass of myself in front of these people that I respect. I'm also worried about making no impression at all, since networking is probably half the reason people go to these things. I'm also suffering from a massive inferiority complex--there are some huge names/authors attending this convention. So, take note, any aspiring authors out there--the anxiety doesn't go away once you're published. It just mutates into something equally soul-destroying.

All right. Well. After that pep talk, I think I'm ready to go. : ) Wish me luck with the whole throwing-up-from-nerves thing!

2 comments:

Pat Kirby said...

Kelley Armstrong and Charlaine Harris! Loud fan-girl squee! And half-naked men...mmmm.

>So, take note, any aspiring authors out there--the anxiety doesn't go away once you're published. It just mutates into something equally soul-destroying.

Lies, Stacey. Tell us lies, sweet little lies. Say you're always confident and marketing is a breeze. You move through the crowds at conferences, meeting and greeting all with great aplomb. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Jeez. I haven't mustered the nerve to attend Bubonicon, our local (small) SFF con.

Seriously, I suspect you'll do great. Do fill us in when you get back.

The Humanity Critic said...

Just passing through, you have a great blog by the way..